ot - my new bellows driven toy

Not that far off topic to be honest, lovely old free reed instrument full of (very) long scale reeds in individual brass shoes. A distant cousin of the concertina, but it looks a bit heavy to pick up and the straps are missing. ;)

Pete.

Not that far off topic to be honest, lovely old free reed instrument full of (very) long scale reeds in individual brass shoes. A distant cousin of the concertina, but it looks a bit heavy to pick up and the straps are missing. ;)

Pete.

I haven't had a look inside yet, a low g is buzzing badly and the "middle" c doesn't sound. And i think the bellows might have sprung a few leaks- you have to pedal like mad to play chords and melody at the same time (damn good excercise that) -

but it has a great tone and what is amazing is it sounds quiet when you are sitting at it but can be easily heard 6 metres away.

I own a similar "toy" and enjoy very much playing it.

Congratulations!

Fills the gap between the little (more or less) boxes and that huge church organ I used to play... - just in the living room... :rolleyes:

But I'll have to work on the bellows too after kicking 'em for some ten years...

the "middle" c doesn't sound.

"doesn't sound" might be a not too serious affair, as I had detected some stray grains of sand between the non-sounding reed and the reed shoe back then.

Had been just a bit tricky reaching all those poor stricken reeds... :blink:

the "middle" c doesn't sound.

"doesn't sound" might be a not too serious affair, as I had detected some stray grains of sand between the non-sounding reed and the reed shoe back then.

Had been just a bit tricky reaching all those poor stricken reeds... :blink:

I've had a look in the back and there was only a large box, presumably holding the bellows - so i took off the piece of wood on the front just under the keys and found a long thin box that i'm guessing holds the reeds, but with no obvious screws or latches that would aid in removal.

I was going to just say heyho and live with it or rather without it but that C is needed in every tune I've tried to bash out so far. So tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find some diagrams on the net,

...it looks a bit heavy to pick up and the straps are missing. ;)

My own is "portable", folding into itself and with a handle to carry it.

I believe it's a model once popular with the Salvation Army.

Photos will have to wait a bit, though, since at the moment it's not where I am.

I've had a look in the back and there was only a large box, presumably holding the bellows - so i took off the piece of wood on the front just under the keys and found a long thin box that i'm guessing holds the reeds, but with no obvious screws or latches that would aid in removal.

Usually the reeds pull out in much the same way as concertina reeds. Sometimes there is a hole or a slot which you can use with a hook to withdraw the reed.

Lots of information here:

http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/FreeReed/English/organ_book/

Edited by Theo

Usually the reeds pull out in much the same way as concertina reeds. Sometimes there is a hole or a slot which you can use with a hook to withdraw the reed.

We had a harmonium in the house when I was a child. I much preferred it to the piano, which I was supposed to be learning, especially in winter - because the piano was in the usually unheated drawing-room, whereas the harmonium was in the heated living-kitchen! (No, It wasn't as cramped as you'd think - we lived in a big, old Edwardian house.) And, of course, you can have a lot more fun with a harmonium than with a piano when you're 12 years old. ;)

I remember that my father had a special tool for harmonium maintenance. It was a wooden handle, as for a file or screwdriver, but there was a large round-headed woodscrew screwed in in place of the blade. The edge of the screw-head engaged in a notch or other recess in the reed shoes, as I remember.

I think I may even still have this "reed extractor" lying around somewhere. Must get a harmonium to go with it ...B)

Cheers,

John

And my own 1907, Estey American Chapel Organ.

Recovered as a wreck from my local defunct hospital chapel and rebuilt by me 25 years ago.

Geoff

now that would look good in my living room

Well, my wife has said many times that it would look good in someone else's living room.:(

Geoff

I've always fancied a portable harmonium - the type with collapsable legs.

Anyone got one they fancy selling?

Harmoniums sound just wonderful when played to accompany Swedish music.

Edited by SteveS

I've always fancied a portable harmonium - the type with collapsable legs.

Anyone got one they fancy selling?

I presume you want to find one in England?

They're a bit big for the overhead on an airplane.

Harmoniums sound just wonderful when played to accompany Swedish music.

Also common in Finnish folk music, as I recall.