Wanted: a SMOOTH English Jig

Jim Besser

For a Northwest clog set, I'm looking for a really smooth jig. As handed down to me, the dance uses Cock of the North for that particular figure, but the figure is very fluid and doesn't go with the pretty bouncy music. Something smoother would be nice. Only tune I can think of is "Out on the Ocean," which I don't believe is English. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jim Besser

How about Billy Pinnock's New Rigged Ship, from Goathland, North Yorkshire....

X:1

T:Billy Pinnock's New Rigged Ship

T:32-bar jig from Goathland, North Yorkshire

C:Trad.

R:Jig

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:3/8=110

K:DMix

A|"Em"B2E EFE| BAB d2B |"D"A2F DED | FEF A2A |

"Em"B2E EFE| BAB d2B | "D"A2F DEF | "Em"E3 E2 :|

|:B|"Em" e2B e2B | efg f2 e |"D" d2A d2A | def e2d |

"Em"e2B "D"efg | f2e d2B | A2F DEF |"Em" E3 E2 :|

Cheers

Steve

Billy Pinnocks NRS.pdf

Edited by Steve_freereeder

Banks of the Dee is a lovely tune, just leave out the slows (C part) if you don't need them.

X:6

T:Banks of the Dee (Fieldtown)

A:Fieldtown

P:A(AB)2(AC)2

K:G

P:A

|: DEF GAB| ced cBA| BGE Ddc| BcA G3:|

P:B

|: Bcd d2g| ede dBG| Bcd efg| GAG FED|

cec BdB| GFG AFD| GFE Ddc| BcA G3:|

P:C

[M:4/4]|: B2 c2 d4| d4 g4 | e2 d2 e4 | d2 B2 G4 | B2 c2 d4 | e2 f2 g4 | G2 A2 G4 |[M:2/4]F2 E2 |

[M:3/8]"R.O.T." D2 B |[M:6/8]cec BdB | GFG AFD | GFE Ddc BcA G3 :|

Edit: Had to add the word 'part' in the brackets above as a capital C in brackets invokes the copyright symbol! ©

Edited by tallship

As discussed recently in another cnet forum, perhaps "Random" aka "Random Notes" would work well, as it is a northern tune. And of course there are a lot of great 6/8 tunes in the Morris tradition: Bobbing Joe, Upton-on-Severn, Lumps of Plum Pudding, Webley Twizzle, Banks of the Dee, Queens Delight, Dearest Dickey, etc.

Alan's post has reminded me that I have a tune of my own too. Not as good as Alan's but free to use if it takes your fancy.

X:32

T:Jiggit

C:Peter Dunk

Q:3/8=100

|: BGG DGG | BAB GDD | EFG BAB | dBG A3 |

BGG DGG | BAB GDD | EFG BAB | AEF G3 :|

|:dBG DGB | cBc AFD | BAB B<dB | c<ec A2 z |

B>GG DGG | BAB GDD | EFG B<AB | c<AF G3:|

Jim you might like to try a newish one of mine that may fit

The Old Smithy

I play it with less accidentals now but it is a nice tune to play

Al :)

Link doesn't work.

I've been using your "Gatwick Express" sometimes for rapper dancers it's a great rapper tune!

great suggestions, all! I'm going to try a bunch of these with the dance and see what works. THe problem: it's a somewhat flowing figure; even Cock of the North, which isn't the bounciest jig, seems to have a little too much. Right now Banks of the Dee and Dearest Dickey look like the best candidates, but I'll just try them all and see what works.

jb

Late entry! The Headington version of Constant Billy with the normal dotted rhythm removed is quite lyrical and jogs along nicely I reckon.

X:73

T:Constant Billy - Headington

S:RKS

A:Headington

P:A(AB)4

P:A

|:D|GBd BGB|cBc AFD|BAG EFG|DEF G2:|

P:B

|:D|Bcd ecB|ABc dBG|Bcd ecB|ABc d2D|

GBd BGB|cBc AFD|BAG EFG|DEF G2:|

And here's another new-ish jig, c. 1982, that might work as well.

Great tune! I hope you don't mind but here's the abc file for it.

Pete.

X:74

T:Christine's Favorite

C:Gary Coover

Q:3/8=110

Z:Peter Dunk, Oct 2011

K:D

AG |:"D" FEF DFA | dfe dAG | FAd "G"Bed | "A"cBc A2 G |

"5""D" FEF DFA | dfe dAG | "G"gfe "D"fed |1"A"Aec "D"dAG :|2"A"Aec "D"dde |

"10""D" |:fdd "A"ecc | "D" dAG FGA | "G"Bgg gfe | "A" dec Ace |

"14""D"fdd "A"ecc | "D"dAG FGA | "G"Bgf efd |1 "A"Aec "D"dde :|2 "A"Aec "D"dzz |]

Jim you might like to try a newish one of mine that may fit

The Old Smithy

I play it with less accidentals now but it is a nice tune to play

Al :)

Link doesn't work.

I've been using your "Gatwick Express" sometimes for rapper dancers it's a great rapper tune!

Thanks Jim

I havn't played the Gatwick Express for a while now ,must get it back into my brain.

The link to The Old Smithy seems to be OK , my original posting was wrong so that may have been the problem (small K instead of large one)so much to learn.

Al :blink:

I havn't played the Gatwick Express for a while now ,must get it back into my brain.

The link to The Old Smithy seems to be OK , my original posting was wrong so that may have been the problem (small K instead of large one)so much to learn.

Thanks.

Gatwick is great; I can play it at 180 beats or so, which is what the rappers want, without dropping notes. A rare jig that works well on concertina at those blinding speeds.

And it's English. It's always bothered me that an English ritual dance form is almost always danced to Irish tunes, at least on this side of the pond. Not that I have anything against Irish tunes; it's just, if you're doing English ritual dancing, use English tunes!

jb

Thanks.

Gatwick is great; I can play it at 180 beats or so, which is what the rappers want, without dropping notes. A rare jig that works well on concertina at those blinding speeds.

And it's English. It's always bothered me that an English ritual dance form is almost always danced to Irish tunes, at least on this side of the pond. Not that I have anything against Irish tunes; it's just, if you're doing English ritual dancing, use English tunes!

jb

So, where can we find a recording or dots for "Gatwick Express"? Always up for a good new tune!

Gary