Wheatstone C/GH Anglo on eBay

SteveS

>Q: Hello Could you please tell me the serial number of this concertina? Also I would really like to see more photos. >Could you email me some of other views of the instrument, or put them on the ebay listing? Thanks RG 03-Oct-11

>A: Many thanks for your enquiry. Firstly, I'm fascinated by your interest in buying so many vintage people photos >going back to the '20s. What possible uses can be made of them, I wonder. I trust you will understand that I have to >check out Ebayers before dealing with them, as I've come across some nasty, nosey time-wasters in the past. If the photo >I posted doesn't show the quality of this item, then any further ones won't either. Ability to buy is also a concern, >and those bundles of photos would probably have set you back just a few hundred $s - a long way from the minimum $7600 >or so required to buy this instrument (at today's exchange rate!). I never give out serial numbers as they are the >security/insurance property of the owners. May I say that the classic Wheatstone period is generally estimated as 1910 - >30. I hope you all are well in CA.

yikes, I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore Todo--where did I take a wrong turn?? Michelle

Here - another nice concertina listed by gpanda123

Edited: typo in title - should read C/G Anglo

Hmmm. Gpanda123 again. Check out the comments on this auction. Gpanda123 won't reveal the serial number of the concertina he wants us to pay $7000-$8000 for, because the serial number is the property of the owner, whatever that means. Gpanda won't post more pics of the concertina, but doesn't understand why anyone would want to see any. If I were a betting man, I'd bet he doesn't have access to the concertina, and so can't learn the serial number or take any more pics. Also, IMHO his demeanor online veers between nasty and batty. Every concertina auction of his that I've ever seen goes about the same way. Just sayin'.

Judging from the man's reply to the request for more pictures of the concertina, his reply is so rambling and incoherent that it appears he isn't playing with a full deck! I would avoid him at all costs and certainly stay away from his auctions.

Ross Schlabach

I have seen this instrument about two years ago at Chris Algar's place. If I remember rightly the extra row is chromatic ( same note push and pull ). It is a unique and fine instrument, but very odd and quite big - more of a collector's item. You definitely want much more information about it or better get a chance to play it before you buy! I forget what Chris was asking - definitely less...

>Q: Hello Could you please tell me the serial number of this concertina? Also I would really like to see more photos. >Could you email me some of other views of the instrument, or put them on the ebay listing? Thanks RG 03-Oct-11

>A: Many thanks for your enquiry. Firstly, I'm fascinated by your interest in buying so many vintage people photos >going back to the '20s. What possible uses can be made of them, I wonder. I trust you will understand that I have to >check out Ebayers before dealing with them, as I've come across some nasty, nosey time-wasters in the past. If the photo >I posted doesn't show the quality of this item, then any further ones won't either. Ability to buy is also a concern, >and those bundles of photos would probably have set you back just a few hundred $s - a long way from the minimum $7600 >or so required to buy this instrument (at today's exchange rate!). I never give out serial numbers as they are the >security/insurance property of the owners. May I say that the classic Wheatstone period is generally estimated as 1910 - >30. I hope you all are well in CA.

yikes, I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore Todo--where did I take a wrong turn?? Michelle

This might help,regards David.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12836

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheatstone-Aeola-Anglo-Concertina-/260786760186?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3cb81a29fa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Here are the further winning responses from Gpanda123.................. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!"

Q: respectfully, if you expect anyone to spend this amount of money on an instrument and not know more about it, you may end up being disappointed. i would also doubt the sanity of anyone who would make such a purchase based on a single photo, no matter what resolution. i find it odd that you refuse both to give the exact date of manufacture (which you claim is known) or more photos considering the asking price. the fact that the item has received no bids is evidence of this. i don't say this to offend you, but when selling an item like this, it literally pays to be slightly more accommodating. a musician will also want to know the button layout, as it looks non-standard, probably chromatic. 11-Oct-11

A: "goodfortunestore", Ebay intends this section to be for questions, and you haven't asked any. It is not intended for sermonising or whingeing by time-wasters. I am happy to answer relevant questions, which do not invade the privacy of the owner or the security of the item for auction. Musicians will know that ANGLO means it's the Anglo-German layout and that C/G indicates the keys of the 2nd and 3rd rows of the concertina. So, it would appear you are not a concertinist, and I would certainly not like it to go to somebody who might put it in a glass case! Whether it goes or not, I will not be disappointed. Obviously, you are now blocked from bidding on any of my items (never likely to carry out testing anyway, you being registered from faraway New Hampshire) and from any further communication.

Edited by richard

Hello

Here are the further winning responses from Gpanda123.................. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!"

Q: respectfully, if you expect anyone to spend this amount of money on an instrument and not know more about it, you may end up being disappointed. i would also doubt the sanity of anyone who would make such a purchase based on a single photo, no matter what resolution. i find it odd that you refuse both to give the exact date of manufacture (which you claim is known) or more photos considering the asking price. the fact that the item has received no bids is evidence of this. i don't say this to offend you, but when selling an item like this, it literally pays to be slightly more accommodating. a musician will also want to know the button layout, as it looks non-standard, probably chromatic. 11-Oct-11

A: "goodfortunestore", Ebay intends this section to be for questions, and you haven't asked any. It is not intended for sermonising or whingeing by time-wasters. I am happy to answer relevant questions, which do not invade the privacy of the owner or the security of the item for auction. Musicians will know that ANGLO means it's the Anglo-German layout and that C/G indicates the keys of the 2nd and 3rd rows of the concertina. So, it would appear you are not a concertinist, and I would certainly not like it to go to somebody who might put it in a glass case! Whether it goes or not, I will not be disappointed. Obviously, you are now blocked from bidding on any of my items (never likely to carry out testing anyway, you being registered from faraway New Hampshire) and from any further communication.

sheesh, that's terrible. I really wonder how much money he's losing to eBay just to list the items? I know there is a charge if no one bids, or if you pull it. He's been doing this for awhile now I hear.

Gavin Davenport sold it to gpanda123 for £3,450 in June. Here's the feedback from gpanda:

Fabulous tone. Classic, antique item. Cooperative Ebayer. Buyer: Member ID gpanda123 ( Feedback score of 70) 09-Jun-11 00:29

Wheatstone Aeola Anglo Concertina (#260786760186) £3,450.00

So, he is the current owner of this instrument and in this short time, is trying to sell it for twice what he paid for it; and since there were only nine bids on it last time, when it fetched the more reasonable price of £3,450, it's unlikely that there is anyone out there (serious musician or collector), who would be prepared to pay double that money for it now, in my opinion. In contrast to gpanda's evasiveness about providing more information and pictures about this concertina, Gavin was really helpful and only too pleased to provide several pictures of it and plenty of information about it, for potential buyers, which is nice. Gpanda has now pulled the concertina from sale on Ebay, I have discovered.

He does seem like a strange person to do business with, given this episode and other episodes reported in the is forum regarding previous instruments that he has had for sale and his attitude towards potential bidders. Thank God I play the English system, so I am not tempted by his offerings!

Chris

Relisted this time with more photos.

Some interesting claims tho:

- refurbished by 3 experts - by whom?

- reeds can be switched around to switch from Wheatstone layout to Jeffries (I'm not an Anglo player - can this usually be done?)

- British Commonwealth countries dont have import duties since it's country of origin is England - I doubt this is true - but it would be sent from Ireland which isn't in British Commonwealth (if it even exists today)

Edited by SteveS

• 7 months later...
Wouldn't surprise me if the bidder withdraws his/her bid before the auction ends!

or if the transaction isn't completed for some other reason....

And now:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

G P and A

I've always assumed that. Got to be, surely?

So what is his motive then? Has he promised his wife that he's going to sell it but doesn't want to? Is he hoping that by setting himself up prominently as a high value dealer people will offer him that Jeffries they found in the attic? Is he really Paul or Ken drumming up interest when Cnet goes quiet...

Are there any money making opportunities in apparently selling a high value item yet not selling it?

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

well, this could also mean that gpanda and the bidder have agreed on doing the selling outside of ebay ?

Leading, for the buyier, to even less means of contesting in case of bad surprise...

Edited by david fabre