Wanted: Cheap 20 button to look authentic

AlexCJones

I have been looking for a 20 button concertina to do like this with:

scholer_sm.jpg

You know, to be more like what a sailor actually played as described in Adventures at the Start of the Concertina Revival.

So from ebay, I have a few cheap Scholer boxes. Two, I need to repair. So my play was to buy a few, use one to be the actual body, and use the others for parts to fix the one. I also have one that works great, but the top row is tuned to a key that is between D and Eb, and the bottom row plays in a key that is between A and Bb. So I was wondering if anyone here has a Scholer box or other 20 button box that looks like something a sailor would play, and is in either C/G or G/D and would like to sell it.

THanks

Two, I need to repair. So my play was to buy a few, use one to be the actual body, and use the others for parts to fix the one. I also have one that works great, but the top row is tuned to a key that is between D and Eb, and the bottom row plays in a key that is between A and Bb. So I was wondering if anyone here has a Scholer box or other 20 button box that looks like something a sailor would play, and is in either C/G or G/D and would like to sell it.

THanks

Don't have one anymore, but if my experience is anything to go by, you probably have a D/A box.(actually the preferred set-up in Newfoundland if you want to be Far East Coast authentic) Mine was relatively new (from just before Scholer went belly-up) and was nominally a G/D, but was closer to A/E. I've tried a few others, and they only seem to have a passing resemblance to their claimed tuning. Maybe that's part of the authentic charm!