Advice?: looking for new Anglo

Mikefule

I own a Jeffries B flat/F which is absolutely lovely to play, and a Margus G/D which was perfectly good until I got the Jeffries for comparison.

I am looking to upgrade the G/D.

Looking for a traditionally built 40 key Anglo, with concertina reeds, set in a reed pan in the traditional way, and with a nice smooth action. I have played various makes and I have found that I prefer an action where the keys move a fairly short distance.

I need to try before I buy, and I'm in Lincolnshire, UK.

Can anyone point me to a suitable manufacturer without a ridiculous waiting list? In particular, what are the NEW Wheatstones like?

Thanks.

Congrats on the nice Jeffries. Since you asked for a manufacturer without a long waiting list, it's interesting that you mentioned the current Wheatstone. I doubt you could find a company with a longer and slower waiting list. Actually though, just about every concertina builder worth considering already have long waiting lists. But you wanted a traditionally built 40 button instrument, so you might want to consider an original Wheatstone. The 40 button models are generally less sought after than 30 & 38 button models. It may be hard to find a G/D model with all the traditional features but it will probably be preferrable to getting on someone's waiting list. In fact I'm not aware of any of the well known builders who routinely build a 40 button model. Do be aware that a lot of the 40 button Wheatstones available and ocassionally seen on eBay are later models that may not have all the older traditional construction methods, so check them out carefully.

And while you're shopping, you probably want to give Chris Algar a call since he has the best chance of having what you want.

Good luck on your hunt.

Ross Schlabach

Thanks. I was being a bit lazy when I said "40" - I suppose I meant "more than 30". I'm never quite sure what the standard count is, and whether it includes the drone. Basically, I need more than the "3 rows of 5" on each side. I play English style (right hand mainly melody, left hand mainly bass and chords) and mainly in G, D and occasional modulations into A. I don't use all the extar buttons (yet) but I do need all the ones I use.

i would second looking to find an antique if you can. not a lot of people are making more than 30 buttons with short lists. dipper and wheatstone are basically out, if you want to see your concertina any time soon.

concertina connection has the A6, which is available in G/D with 40 buttons. suttner has the A4 with 38 buttons, which is what micheál ó raghallaigh plays; inquire about G/D (not listed on site). jeff thomas is also making a 38 button, as well, but not sure if he's ever done G/D; doesn't hurt to ask!

Edited by david_boveri

Hi All I am looking for a simular instrument Anglo G/D 30+ buttons .Suttner has a 48month waiting list and buying from USA means high import duties on top of the purchase price.Sorry there is no good news. Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

I own a Jeffries B flat/F which is absolutely lovely to play, and a Margus G/D which was perfectly good until I got the Jeffries for comparison.

Can anyone point me to a suitable manufacturer without a ridiculous waiting list? In particular, what are the NEW Wheatstones like?

What others said, plus this: owning a great Jeffries, it's unlikely you'll find anything else that compares in terms of sound and action. Bite the bullet and get another Jeffries.

jb

Have you considered a Connor? I've just bought a C/G and am very pleased with it. Price is reasonable. He usually makes 31 button - I'm not sure about larger anglos but he's worth ringing. He had what I wanted in stock but mentioned that he can normally meet an order in a few months. He'll adjust the action to suit you. Chris Timson owned one of his G/Ds, I think, and spoke very favourably of it.

The only thing I found was that, as Mr Connor doesn't play much himself, it is worth picking it up from him personally (in Essex - your side of the country) to check for minor adjustments needed, which he did for me on the spot.

I am looking to upgrade the G/D.

Looking for a traditionally built 40 key Anglo, with concertina reeds, set in a reed pan in the traditional way, and with a nice smooth action. I have played various makes and I have found that I prefer an action where the keys move a fairly short distance.

I need to try before I buy, and I'm in Lincolnshire, UK.

Thanks.

Have you seen this D/G Jones on eBay? It may be of interest.

What others said, plus this: owning a great Jeffries, it's unlikely you'll find anything else that compares in terms of sound and action. Bite the bullet and get another Jeffries.

jb

maybe sound, but i won't give you action! seriously...