"Campaign " style concertina

DDF

This looks nice and seems too have a certain robustness about it.The auction house,H&H Carlisle says "A late 19th Century concertina by George Case for Boosey & Co, of hexagonal section in fretted burr walnut with German silver mounts, 48 buttons, gilt-tooled green leather bellows with applied printed paper panels, in original conforming case, 16cm diameter .David.

post-536-0-12173700-1316429689_thumb.jpg

I have got a Rock Chidley that could be it's brother, only made from Rosewood and with Glass Buttons. I think that Chris has a picture on his Chidley Site

"Campaign Concertina". Does anyone know why this should be referred to as a "Campaign Concertina", and where did the term originate?

I am also interested in the reinforced corners. I have a Lachenal Excelsior with identical reinforced corners, which seem to be original. I have picked up somewhere that such additions were fitted to concertinas intended to be used in tropical climes, and thus in need of strenghtening where tgemperature/humidity might be an enemy. Does anyone know the truth of this?

Edited by lesfix

"Campaign Concertina". Does anyone know why this should be referred to as a "Campaign Concertina", and where did the term originate?

Doesn't the Salvation Army have campaigns (and some of them in tropical regions)? Just a guess...

I have a Lachenal Excelsior...

Just like me! How do you like yours?

First time i've heard the term applied to a concertina, but it is often used to describe furniture that was designed to travel with military officers when on campaign, to furnish their marquee tents with. Typically these items were robustly made, often bound with metal braces and corners, and were compact and sometimes foldable. You often see chests, writing desks, tea caddiesetc. built and described this way. We used to call stuff like this "Navy Portable", meaning it could be moved by 4 strong swabbies!

First time i've heard the term applied to a concertina, but it is often used to describe furniture that was designed to travel with military officers when on campaign, to furnish their marquee tents with. Typically these items were robustly made, often bound with metal braces and corners, and were compact and sometimes foldable. You often see chests, writing desks, tea caddiesetc. built and described this way. We used to call stuff like this "Navy Portable", meaning it could be moved by 4 strong swabbies!

Yes it not a term normally used with concertinas but it seemed appropriate.Here is a 2'6" wide teak "campaign" chest I have in the workshop at present.David.post-536-0-20053100-1316633819_thumb.jpg