Current players of The Maccann ?

Another player to add to the list - Tom Bliss.

Having checked out various other lists posted elsewhere, at the moment I'm up to 74 known players so far , either named here or on a thread on Mudcat about Duet International, or on the Maccann group or known about personally.

And just out of interest (since I'm at home being sick at the moment) the breakdown of location of players on this list is as follows:

UK 41

USA 15

Canada 2

France 3

Australia and New Zealand 5

Kyrgystan 1

Sweden 1

Switzerland 2

Germany 2

Japan 1

Hong Kong 1

Obviously this has to be the tip of an iceberg - think of all those people who don't social network , mess about with the internet, don't play the same sort of music etc etc.(I rather doubt that the majority of the 21 players who turned up for the workshop in Whitby are necessarily on here either! Anyway, that's my playtime over ... going to get ready to watch Torchwood now ;)

Edited by Irene S

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ! A great breakdown of locations Irene.

All the posts so far suggest that MacCanner's are not too numerous which is what I suspected. Since the time I listened to Tommy Williams at an ICA meeting in 1975 (?) I don't think I have met more than 2 players in the flesh but then I have lived a lot in more isolated places. Around here most people have never seen a Concertina of any type and that includes those who take an active interest in Traditional/Folk musics.

I guess a poll of players of the other Duets might also prove interesting. I assumed that the MacCann was the most used form, in the past, because they are the instruments I have come across more often for sale, but is this really the case ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks for the wow Geoff. I had a quick scoot through the cnet membership for Duet players, and my gut feeling ( I didn't actually do any counting up ... my levels of sadness haven't got quite that far) was that there were actually more Crane players amongst those who had actually registered the fact that they play a Duet ... but I could be mistaken.

Another name that I've just remembered is Hazel Askew .... she has recently entered the ranks according to a bit of correspondence that I had been having with her father. But she has only acquired a Maccann in the last six or seven months or so.

And Dirge ... fairly close. It's one of the six independent Turkic states . For more info see here http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kyrgyzstan

Edited by Irene S

And Dirge ... fairly close. It's one of the six independent Turkic states . For more info see here http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kyrgyzstan

Ok, having looked at your link, for which thank you, you learn something every day, that seems only slightly more likely than the South Pole as a home for a Maccan player. Do we know anything about him or her?

Probably some funny business going on?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone with a fair command of English just trying to blend in! Is the name Rufus T Firefly significant? I need to get out more!

A quick google and Rufus T Firefly is the character played by Groucho Marx in Duck Soup. So we apparently have a Kyrgistan based, Maccan playing, Marx Brothers fan.

Probably some funny business going on?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone with a fair command of English just trying to blend in! Is the name Rufus T Firefly significant? I need to get out more!

A quick google and Rufus T Firefly is the character played by Groucho Marx in Duck Soup. So we apparently have a Kyrgistan based, Maccan playing, Marx Brothers fan.

Which was exactly what my comment about "funny business going on" was alluding to ! ;)

Do we find that combination a little worrying, or does it just confirm the previously held opinion of some people that all duet players are nutters?

Which was exactly what my comment about "funny business going on" was alluding to ! ;)

Ah ha! Well you can't get that subtle and expect me to realise.

Sorry - I had thought that that was the import of your original remark!

I suppose that my wife,Liz Jenkinson,should be included on the list having played a Maccann for thirty years.

She currently plays a 67 keyed Wheatstone Aeola from the early 20s.

Does anyone remember a concertina player from Nottingham in the early 70s called Gren?

I'm sure he played a Maccann at the old Nottingham Traditional Music Club (NTMC).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread for some time while away on holiday and not logged in, so unable to post. But now I'm back (and I note that I was mentioned above as a current player).

With regard to Irene's breakdown of players by country above, I feel bound to wonder ... what about South Africa? I'm thinking particularly of the Afrikaner boeremusiek players. I know they are mostly anglo players, but there were a number of Maccann players too (I heard this from Zak van der Vyver), so I guess there must still be some. Does anybody know?

Interesting thread. By the way, at the Saturday afternoon tune session at the recent White Horse Folk Festival there were three Maccann players in the same room!