Current players of The Maccann ?

I nearly forgot. I haven't mentioned Graham Coyne, a friend of the late Barry Callaghan who helped in the production of the video on Reuben Shaw. He posted two videos onto Youtube earlier in the year and I have been in contact with him. He has been playing for over 30 years, but rarely performs in public. He has given me to understand that Reuben's son, Reuben, probably also plays. As he doesn't get out to play much Graham had been under the impression that Maccann players were as rare as hen's teeth. I'm sitting down to prepare an Excel spreadsheet of the names mentioned so far - recuperation from sickness occasionally has it's uses.

Better only put me down as half a player Irene....I've been at it just 4 months and really enjoying it. Thanks for the tip about Graham Coyne I'll try and find his videos because already today I picked up a couple of tips from Jim's link to the Pam Bishop video...

Cheers,

Geoff.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a great video of Pam with her Maccann playing in duet with Sandra Kerr on English.

That's one to enjoy, again... :)

And Sandra Kerr does not look any older than she did in the mid '70's when I used to call at her house to get some tips on playing the Northubrian pipes from her partner. One memory I have of that is it was the first time I ever tried Real Coffee!!! Deprived childhood. :unsure:

Edited by Geoff Wooff

the maccann in the pam bishop duet video. [er, duet, in a duet...]....is that a 57-button size? or bigger? is it in the three-pound range, or the five-pound range? it's very beautiful....

It's in the 60's range ceemonster. As far as I can recall it's a 67.

Sorry I have not joined in this discussion ,after two years investigating this subject Worldwide I have a pretty comprehensive list. A lot of my details however have gone off to Graham, but I will try and fill in a few more details soon.

Al

Not necessarily Mike. There are people who play for pleasure at home; others who don't dabble on the internet etc. (I had the feeling that Al had even come across one or two more even since the lists for DI were supposedly closed.)

@Geoff: Well I reckon you and I together would make a whole?? :P

Edited by Irene S

in the mid '70's when I used to call at her house to get some tips on playing the Northubrian pipes from her partner. One memory I have of that is it was the first time I ever tried Real Coffee!!! Deprived childhood. :unsure:

In common with most of us of an age I suspect Geoff! What I recall as a child was Camp Coffee and Chicory Substitute. We would certainly never have been able to afford the real thing then - things were very tight. It wasn't that long after the war really, after all. I just looked it up and discovered that it's still on sale! Might go and buy some just to remind myself of the taste (out of curiosity). I seem to remember being enchanted by the exotic label with a Highlander and an Indian soldier in full regalia ... so am now most surprised to find that the stuff was actually manufacture in Scotland!!

One nobody has mentioned is Peter Honri! Some while ago it seemed to be thought that he was living in a nursing home. However, at least two postings on the web in recent months would seem to disprove this, and also show that he is still playing.

http://whitchurchart...ag/peter-honri/

And of course there is also Peter Trimming. I'm none too sure whether he's still playing a Maccann (hello out there Peter?) but he certainly can judging by his previous Youtube videos.

Which brings the list at present up to 70.

Edited by Irene S

Alan Day must have trawled all the known players.
Not necessarily Mike.

How about Michael Pratt, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada? And I know he has at least one Maccann student, who has been at it now for a few years.

And I know there are at least a couple in Germany, though I don't know their names.