Hohner concertina with concertina reeds

There is a very interesting 20 button Anglo concertina on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Hohner-Concertina-excellent-Pre-1900s-/120768362042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e5af63a

I didn't know that they used concertina reeds on their anglo concertinas. The seller speculates that it may have been made by Lachenal for Hohner. Is that possible?

There is a very interesting 20 button Anglo concertina on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Hohner-Concertina-excellent-Pre-1900s-/120768362042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e5af63a

I didn't know that they used concertina reeds on their anglo concertinas. The seller speculates that it may have been made by Lachenal for Hohner. Is that possible?

wow, that is a remarkable instrument! if only they had continued to make concertinas like that. it seems like a lot of work to make a fake hohner, lol. i'm interested as well in seeing if anyone else has seen these before.

There is a very interesting 20 button Anglo concertina on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c1e5af63a

wow, that is a remarkable instrument! if only they had continued to make concertinas like that. it seems like a lot of work to make a fake hohner, lol. i'm interested as well in seeing if anyone else has seen these before.

It could conceivably be a Lachenal - they show up with all sorts of brand names on them. But it could also be a German-made copy of an English-made concertina, like the Schuster described here.

Thanks daniel for drawing my attention to this thread. I'll quote here what I said in my email to you.

I'm pretty sure its not a Lachenal, but a copy. The type of wood, the moulding, and the bolt head shape are all like the Schuster English I reported an a couple of years ago. By a strange coincidence I saw one identical to this, but in poorer condition, at Whitby festival last week. Another difference from Lachenal is that the serial number is stamped nearer to the centre of the reedpan, and the print style is different, and the number is not impressed into the wood. The one I saw last week had a letter S stamped into the wood beside one of the strap screws, you could ask your seller to look for that.

Hi All. Why is it that that a concertina produced with Accordian reeds ,can not be retro fitted with concertina reeds? Bob

Mainly its the reason why accordion reeds are used in the first place: concertina reeds are just not available in quantity. Accordion reeds are readily available and from several large scale factories, concertina reeds are produced in small numbers by a few skilled artisans. A secondary reason is that the two reed types differ a great deal in construction and you would have to do some rebuilding, at the very least you would need new reedpans.

"On Aug-26-11 at 22:53:00 PDT, seller added the following information:

After further research by interested buyers, I've learned that this concertina is most likely ENGLISH made. Possibly a very early Lachenal concertina (circa. 1870). Thank you everyone for the interest!

I will continue to keep everyone updated with new information on it."

That would be my guess. I'm not an expert in the matter of rebadged Lachenals, but they certainly did a lot of them. I believe that Lachenals business philosophy was to make as many instruments as possible, and sell them whichever way they could. Quality was a secondary motivation, at least as far as their anglos was concerned.

Hi there,

I have a 20-button anglo concertina by Hohner here that looks identical to the one on ebay, apart from its serial number - which is about 50 higher. Mine is certainly not from the 19th century; actually the felt, leather, reeds and woodwork all look very new, just like the one in auction. My best bet is that mine is post WW-II. It is fairly well made but has brass reeds and a rather tiny sound (and to me seems never to have been in tune...). Was Lachenal still in business by then?

Mark

Edited to correct typo

Edited by MarkvN

FYI I won this concertina on ebay and would still be interested to know more about it's origin etc. I'm very curious to see how it plays.

FYI I won this concertina on ebay and would still be interested to know more about it's origin etc. I'm very curious to see how it plays.

congrats! keep us updated. i think it would be a great addition to any collection. too bad hohner didn't keep selling such concertinas. i think that over time they could have developed to be as good as their accordions and harmonicas (which are so much better than their concertinas).

• 2 weeks later...

congrats! keep us updated. i think it would be a great addition to any collection. too bad hohner didn't keep selling such concertinas. i think that over time they could have developed to be as good as their accordions and harmonicas (which are so much better than their concertinas).

I just got the concertina today. The brass reeds are in very good condition. It has a nice mellow sound. There are leather baffles which probably make it quieter than it could be but I'm going to leave them on for the time being. I haven't checked if it is in concert pitch yet.