CD naming Contest

Dear concertina folk,

I am about to release my latest CD, but I don’t have a good title for it. Can you help?

The over arching concept of this recording is to present the songs and tunes I perform in my solo shows, so there really is no stylistic unity aside from the fact that concertina and my voice is featured throughout (along with other artists on about half of the selections). It’s a melange of audience pleasing material that includes a few songs of my own, a few American songs from the 30’s, two hapa haole Hawaiian numbers, a few unrecorded and obscure English ballads, some yiddish classics, a Canadian anthem, A Unitarian hymn, and some instrumental music that I wrote for Shakespearian productions. Really interesting and entertaining songs and tunes... but what to call it? What is this thing?

I want to present this recording with a fine graphic on the cover that I’m including here (thank you to Jeff Lefferts for the scan of this great card). The music has all been recorded and I hope to take the finished CDs on tour to England this fall so I’m feeling pressed to come up with a title.

I was going to call it “Concertina Troubadoure” and may yet, though my wife makes retching sounds whenever I say it out loud. She’s good at this sort of thing so now I’m wondering... she suggested “Tempting Prudence” which I like very much (as some of the songs are of questionable taste), but there is a bodice ripping novel by that name that has quite a number of google hits, so perhaps something else. I like “Sing me another one, Dearie” and may end up using that. “Concertina Holiday” would be nice but it’s taken long ago by some polka band. Despite the ocean scene, there are no seafaring songs on this recording.

So what do you think?

I would love the title to include the word “Concertina” but that does not make or break the deal. If you come up with a title that I like and use, I’ll send you a copy of the CD free and you will be the winner of my CD naming contest and my undying gratitude. Here is the CD front and back graphics and a list of the selections.

Multitasking Daddy

Taters

The Log Driver’s Waltz

Princess Pa-Pu-Le

Down by the Rail Road Track

Bid Me Farewell

Sally’s Garden

Gooseberry Pie

The Weaver and his Wife

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Bergomask

Fortune

My Waikiki Girl

Who Stole the Kishka?

Please Mr. Conductor

Unrest

Homage de Pierre Imbert

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to present this recording with a fine graphic on the cover that I’m including here (thank you to Jeff Lefferts for the scan of this great card). The music has all been recorded and I hope to take the finished CDs on tour to England this fall so I’m feeling pressed to come up with a title.

"Scantily dressed concertina"?

ocd

The cover is great, but doesn't really relate to the tune titles. The best match imo is "Bid Me Farewell", with its suggestion that the concertina-playing sailor is serenading his lady-love before sailing away. Mind you, she looks as if she'd be glad to be shot of him :lol: .

Dear concertina folk,

I am about to release my latest CD, but I dont have a good title for it. Can you help?

Concertina Alba

From Wikipedia: The alba ("sunrise") is a subgenre of Occitan lyric poetry. It describes the longing of lovers who, having passed a night together, must separate for fear of being discovered by their respective spouses.

Edited by Frederick Wahl

It appears to me the lady on the cover is attempting to stop the concertina from playing, perhaps to save the sensibilities of her little dog, so I propose a simple title: "Unstoppable."

The lady also appears to be emerging from a snail shell, but I don't know what to do about that . . .

--George

I quite like multitasking daddy as a title. So, you could change it to multitasking concertina for the album title.

I like Concertina Daddy better. Or:

Jody Kruskal's Squeezebox Serenade

The Old In-and-Out

Singin' & Squeezin'

A Fistful of Notes

In Harmony's Way

My 38-key Girl

Jody Kruskal: Pleases Girls Completely

So far I have to admit that,though initially I agreed with your wife regarding your proposed title, that one seems the best.!

However, how about "Concertina Charivari" ?

charivari [ˌʃɑːrɪˈvɑːrɪ], shivaree esp US, chivareen1. a discordant mock serenade to newlyweds, made with pans, kettles, etc.2. a confused noise; din[from French, from Late Latin caribaria headache, from Greek karēbaria, from karē head + barus heavy]

Mind you, not a sensible suggestion, or indeed a good description of the contents (I hope!) - I just liked the alliteration.

:rolleyes:

(Still thinking .... there must be something good out there somewhere .... LOL)