A bit of Sidmouth

I went to Sidmouth Folk Festival and spent quite a few hours in the Balfour Arms (as did Chris)

Here is a snippet - Chas Marshall on Wheatstone Linota many other instruments including trumpet and French horn.

Lovely tune not heard it before

Al :)

I left home at 6AM stopped for a bacon sandwich in Honiton.Arrived in Sidmouth about 9-30.Parking was about a mile (or seemed it in the pouring rain )from the Town Centre. First person I walked into was Ralphie on his way to the Bedford Hotel.I looked into the Concertina band gathering (A picture to follow) then it was along to the pub for the morning and Midday session.Over to a Birthday party at the Rugby Club, Back to the pub for the early evening session before I left at eight.The last person I said goodbye to was Ralphie. A mile walk back to the car park.Stopped for a little rest and got home at about 11-30.

Enjoyed my day out.

Al

The last person I said goodbye to was Ralphie. A mile walk back to the car park.

Al

Hmm ... if you said goodbye to Ralphie in the Radway, I think the last person you actually said goodbye to on your walk back to the car park was me! (Since Ralphie was still in there when I walked down there after saying a fond farewell to you). Hmmm ... another 100 lines Mr Day? :lol:

(It was good to see and hear you - three times in the day, I reckon?)

Edited by Irene S

Good to see, meet, and hear, you at the WCCP band session Alan. Enjoyed your solo spot very much.

(Band workshops are great fun for the participants, but other than in small doses I don't think they're a spectator sport.)

I went to Sidmouth Folk Festival and spent quite a few hours in the Balfour Arms (as did Chris)

In the interests of pedantry it was actually the Radway Inn.

I had a superb Sidmouth, starting with my double-30th birthday session in the Radway on 29th July. A really great evening. Here's the birthday cake Anne made me, while somehow keeping the fact from me :) )

post-75-0-09506100-1312649355_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

I was down on Sunday for a bit of dancing. Shame I missed the sessions. However, I did discover how dangerous sidmouth is after visiting the music stalls in blackmore gardens. I now have a lovely edeophone and a slightly larger credit card bill!

In the interests of pedantry it was actually the Radway Inn.

I had a superb Sidmouth, starting with my double-30th birthday session in the Radway on 29th July. A really great evening. Here's the birthday cake Anne made me, while somehow keeping the fact from me :) )

Cheers,

Chris

Seems like a great way to celebrate a birthday. congratulations.:D

- John

Sorry Chris ,of course you are correct,got confused as I asked the person who I thought was the Landlord if he was the one posting on Facebook, never touch the stuff He said.

Irene you have let the cat out of the bag, I didn't mention our cuddle and a kiss ,because people are already talking.

PS - I have made a start on the lines.

Sorry Chris ,of course you are correct,got confused as I asked the person who I thought was the Landlord if he was the one posting on Facebook, never touch the stuff He said.

Irene you have let the cat out of the bag, I didn't mention our cuddle and a kiss ,because people are already talking.

PS - I have made a start on the lines.

Tisk Al - you're in danger of more lines.

It was a fine cake. There were three pieces left over at the end which Anne and I savoured over the next couple of days. It's making is a tale, which as told by Anne, for simple brevity and lack of incident is rivalled only by Lord of the Rings. Ask Anne to tell you if you'vr got an afternoon to spare.

It doesn't stop there. On Friday Annette Shilling spent several hours eyeing me up from a distance, which I found concerning ... At the end she gave me this:

post-75-0-67111400-1312701391_thumb.jpg

I should like to point out I only take size 9 shoes.

Chris

Good to see, meet, and hear, you at the WCCP band session Alan. Enjoyed your solo spot very much.

(Band workshops are great fun for the participants, but other than in small doses I don't think they're a spectator sport.)

Thanks for your comments John.I have a lot of time for concertina playing at any level and the band session was interesting ,firstly it was a mixture of beginners and experienced players so the overall sound was never going to be brilliant, however there were moments (not many I must admit) where everyone was together and playing their notes correctly.At those times it is worth the wait. The music was brilliantly arranged and conducted and I particularly liked his own composition that was the last music I heard you all play.I took a photo that I will post up soon.

Al

Very nice tune, Al - got a name for it?

How long was your day, by the way - and I don't mean your name...?

Two hornpipes from Lawrence Leadley - The Fiddler of Helperby. They can be found in Hardcore English too. The first is Untitled Hornpipe No 1 (also appears as the Bath Hornpipe in Kidson, I believe). The second is Miss Gayton's Hornpipe. This is an English Rebellion tune set which came to me via the wonderful Nick and Mary Barber. The definitive recording can be found on English Rebellion's CD "Four Across".

Chas