Curious to know

Honora Marmor

Hello--

Academic questions from a fledgling concertina shopper:

For example: this concertina has been on ebay for a while now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-KEY-ADRIANS-CONCERTINA-ACCORDION-1930S-PLAYS-/380319689949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588cd1ecdd.

There is nothing said for it on the seller's part that would incline me to buy it, except as window-dressing, and the price is a little high for that.

My question is: When there is so little in the way of musical information about an instrument, and the seller has not taken the trouble to provide more--such as key, possible makers--should one suspect a disingenuous strategy?

The seller dates it by the accompanying manual, which is not valid at all.

Finally, in trying to do a little research, I noticed how much this concertina resembles chemnitzers in it's look. That seems to be where you see those angled off corners and pearl, anyway. The only concertinas I found that look a little like this are a couple of Corelli--inexpensive midcentury instrument?

My question is: When there is so little in the way of musical information about an instrument, and the seller has not taken the trouble to provide more--such as key, possible makers--should one suspect a disingenuous strategy?

No, not on those grounds alone. Many instruments are offered for sale on ebay by sellers who simply have no knowledge about the items they are selling. They may be family members selling unwanted items from a dead relative, antique dealers selling on items bought through the antique trade, or any number of reasons for genuine ignorance. What you can infer is that the instrument has not been played for many years or even decades and is probably in need of overhaul which might easily run to a few hundred pounds if done by a professional instrument technician.

Hello--

Academic questions from a fledgling concertina shopper:

For example: this concertina has been on ebay for a while now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-KEY-ADRIANS-CONCERTINA-ACCORDION-1930S-PLAYS-/380319689949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588cd1ecdd.

There is nothing said for it on the seller's part that would incline me to buy it, except as window-dressing, and the price is a little high for that.

The seller dates it by the accompanying manual, which is not valid at all.

Finally, in trying to do a little research, I noticed how much this concertina resembles chemnitzers in it's look. That seems to be where you see those angled off corners and pearl, anyway. The only concertinas I found that look a little like this are a couple of Corelli--inexpensive midcentury instrument?

In my humble opinion, this is way too much to pay for this type of instrument.