C.net Big Band

Is there a way to hear the current composite songs?

Jef

Up till now I received only a soundtrack of Stuart Estell, playing Planxty Irwin on his "electric fence-post". I only checked if it was synchronous, but did not mix it.

For more info on read this page.

I'm really looking forward to your contribution Jeff :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Since I was away from c.net for a few years, I just now found out about the Big Band project. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to see what I can do with Polska No. 19. I'm not sure which instrument(s) I'll try.

Incidentally, since the recording and sheetmusic given are melody only, what's an appropriate traditional chord progression? I could harmonize it myself, but it might not come out as expected.

Edited by Theodore Kloba

So keep on squeezing this tune and you will really banish misfortune and improve your playing ;)

Thanks for the encouragement - I think I might be improving. I had thought about recording the second and third time only, so that you could add extra instruments on each repeat - had you considered that?

Rod

Rod

While browsing the thread I discovered that I never gave you a proper answer. to the question below:

I had thought about recording the second and third time only, so that you could add extra instruments on each repeat - had you considered that?

The answer is yes of course!

Just record and send the result to me at:

gmailaddress.gif

B.T.W.: this answer to Rod applies to all of you!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Since I was away from c.net for a few years, I just now found out about the Big Band project. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to see what I can do with Polska No. 19. I'm not sure which instrument(s) I'll try.

Incidentally, since the recording and sheetmusic given are melody only, what's an appropriate traditional chord progression? I could harmonize it myself, but it might not come out as expected.

Theodore, your free to harmonize yourself. Maybe the fact that the fidlle is used very often in Swedish music, can give you a clue?

I had thought about recording the second and third time only, so that you could add extra instruments on each repeat - had you considered that?
is it ok if i send in one on concertina and one on flute?

Check out this thread and see what Henk has been able to do with two independent recordings. I'm not sure quite how much work it is, but it's possible to cut, copy, paste, insert, change speed, change pitch, change volume, and probably do various others things not only to an entire track but to individual bits and pieces. E.g.,

... Henk's original of Banish Misfortune runs through the tune 3 times. He could copy and append that as many times as he wishes, extending it to 6, 9, 12, etc. times.

... By copying and appending or inserting parts instead of the whole, he could make it 5, 7, etc. times through, or even add extra repeats of a particular part in the middle. Even insert a single beat, if he wanted to play with your minds. :o

... He can do the same with each track independently, so he could have once through on a single instrument, once using Theodore's chords, once using somebody else's chords, once with David on concertina, then David on whistle, then both of David's tracks together.

... Rod could record with a blank section, but why bother? Henk could run it once without Rod, then 3 times with Rod -- Rod playing somewhat differently each time? -- then once through with Henk's original, all 3 of Rod's repetitions, both of David's takes, Theodore with his chords, and more (I've just realized that I can submit something unique) all together.

... He could even have David on the first two measures of the B part, Theodore on the next two measures, both on the next two... I think you get the idea.

... The submission I now have in mind for Banish Misfortune will be more or less in C#, rather than D. But Audacity can be used to alter both speed and pitch independently to get things to match up. (I'm pretty sure that's more work than the other stuff, but it's certainly doable. If I'm nice, I'll do all that stuff before I send it to Henk.)

The important thing is that each track you record needs to be submitted separately. In Audacity one can work with many different tracks simultaneously, but they take up a lot of space. Converting to MP3 -- the only reasonable way to compress the sound files enough to include them in emails -- will merge multiple tracks down to one or two, and once merged they can't be separated. So be sure to send each of your tracks as a separate MP3.

Which reminds me, if you include Henk's original along with your own as a second track when you record, make sure that one is identified as "right channel" and the other as "left channel" before saving as MP3, otherwise they'll be mixed together. But left and right will be kept separate for Henk to work with independently when he does his "orchestration".

This is a very cool idea! Is it possible to contribute even nearly 2 years after the project started?

Actually, it appears that very little has happened with it, so far. Your contribution could be the extra push that overcomes the friction and finally gets it rolling. :)

I used to do some online music cooperations (or whatever you may call it!) with someone from Mandolin Café some year ago, I recorded my mandolin back-up and singing and he added guitar and a second voice, it was great fun.....I'll see what I can do with this, I know only one of the tunes (Planxty Irwin) but I can probably learn the others, or at least add some mandolin back-up.

...I know only one of the tunes (Planxty Irwin) but I can probably learn the others, or at least add some mandolin back-up.

Hey, how did that on get in there? Was it added later? I thought I had downloaded all the tunes at one point, but that wasn't among the ones I had. :( Well, now it is! ;)

It's one of my standards, so I should be able to do something with it. :)

Jim

Thanks for your Audicity/Henk promotion ;)

I want to stress this part of your message:l

The important thing is that each track you record needs to be submitted separately.

I think I also mention this in the Project Page.

For that reason I think your suggestion below might be confusing (especially for less experienced Audacity users)

Which reminds me, if you include Henk's original along with your own as a second track when you record, make sure that one is identified as "right channel" and the other as "left channel" before saving as MP3, otherwise they'll be mixed together. But left and right will be kept separate for Henk to work with independently when he does his "orchestration".

I will have another look at the roject Page and maybe I will make some animation to illustrate the main points.

For that reason I think your suggestion below might be confusing (especially for less experienced Audacity users)

Well, when I use Audacity to record, it always records 2 channels, even if there's nothing in the one. When playing along with your original tracks, I wind up with two 2-channel tracks, so I have to do some manipulation with the controls (to the left of each track) even if I wanted to reduce it to a single mono track of my input. Instead, I keep your original as one track and my playing as a second, but then I have to make sure that one is labelled "left" and the other "right". If they're both marked for the same side, they'll get mixed when I save it as MP3.

Maybe I shouldn't even include your original, but as I just said, I think one needs to do something with those controls no matter what, so one needs to learn.