C.net Big Band

I'm working on the pieces, but does anyone else have the problem I have? By the time I'm into the third time through "Banish Misfortune", my arms are too tired to continue. No tendon troubles, just plain tired. Does it get easier? Normally I can play on all day, but this piece stops me.

Rod,

I had the same problem the first two weeks that I played the tune: my arms became very tired. However, now that I practice the tune regularly, my arms are used to this effort and as a result it has a positive effect on my general playing (more precise and more speed).

So keep on squeezing this tune and you will really banish misfortune and improve your playing ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So keep on squeezing this tune and you will really banish misfortune and improve your playing ;)

Thanks for the encouragement - I think I might be improving. I had thought about recording the second and third time only, so that you could add extra instruments on each repeat - had you considered that?

Rod

Henk and I have been discussing the tunes we put forward for you to play and wondered if you were happy with them.I put in the basic hop step to encourage beginners to join in,but if you feel you would like something,lets say we all know,would you prefer that? If so please let us know.

Al

I must admit that work and life in general has conspired to keep me from the concertina the past couple of weeks, and I am still working at getting Banish Misfortune into the fingers - I hope I'm not holding everyone up. :unsure:

Cheers

Morgana :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As we are not really overloaded with contributions for the C.net Big Band, we (Alan and I) did some thinking :unsure: . The result is that a new master-tune is added with some (as we see it) attractive features:

1. It is simple

2. It is well known

3. It is not "already" played on concertina

The piano-player of the Tune-O-Tron was so nice to play Planxty Irwin 3 times for us with an intro to get "into the beat"... so nothing can stop you now to take up your Tina (or any other instrument) and make your recording :) !

More info on recording and related C.net Big Band stuff can be found at this page.

I love this idea but am prevented from joining in by the fact that I have a steam driven internet connection (44k bps). Perhaps others are also similarly handicapped? Anyway, here's a post to keep it in people's minds!

Samantha

• 2 months later...

Just an additional note re the C.net Big Band, from me....

Now, though my computer skills have gotten a bit better, I have the remaining problem of simply not being able to really maneuver around our office furniture very easily, to get a good, educational look at the back of the computer and other stuff.

My husband has it all on this huge desk that cannot be budged at all. Usually, I'm pretty good at moving stuff -- I have 'Super Hips' and they can send things flying with one good shove! But, not this time. I can't believe he ever got this desk moved here in the first place.

Neither one of us can move the thing, now.

I can reach enough of the computer to pull plugs in/out and everything is safely a short distance from the wall, and the electrical source isn't buried, but, I can't really function when it comes to figuring out new hookups and so on.

Someday we'll have to move this desk, but...hmm. Not sure when!

• 1 month later...

Dear Al,

I still have good intentions... but unfortunately my life only continues to get more hectic, and I'm finding it hard to learn the two tunes.

Don't give up on me yet!

Signed

Your failthfully

So Little Time... :P

I downloaded the tune files a few months ago and gave it a try but found it very frustrating and ultimately gave up.

Here are a few of the reasons:

• The tempos are not rock steady and therefore difficult to follow.

• There's no satisfaction in playing along with someone you can't interact with.

• The thought of dozens of concertina players all playing the same tune together over and over without listening to each other was more than I could stomach.

----------

It was a great idea, but to me, an ensemble needs to have some live interaction between its members in order not to sound like a mess (I exclude studio recordings where professional soloists lay down their own tracks at different times), and I just couldn't get past that.

[Edited for typo]

Edited by David Barnert

I respect your point if veiw David and I am prepared to accept critsism of my playing ,providing it is constructive and being a self taught concertina player, I am my worse critic. I do however disagree with your excuse for not joining in.Henk recorded his music using a metronome and then edited it out afterwards.I thought Henk was being the perfectionist he is and surely, I thought, he was going a bit over the top, but obviously not.Knowing you David I would not expect you to walk away from a session, or not join in with somebodys playing, because the speed varied.I cannot remember a session or even a recording session where the speed did not vary a bit.

Henk and I are just trying to create a bit of fun and in my preamble, I did say that these were trial recordings and the original master recording could be rejected if necessary.

The other point raised was one of large numbers of concertina players playing together ,this is of course the major aim to get as many people to join in as possible and give them the opportunity to practice what we hope at some future stage they may do in a recording studio.We also made clear that this was not just for concertinas but for any instrument, indeed we even had a promise of a musical fence post.

I can understand many people not joining in due to time,work,computer technical problems etc but not for the excuses you mention David,but it is your choice.

All this being said I am not cross, annoyed or unhappy ,I do however think that the amount of time and effort Henk put into this idea some of you at least would give it a try.

Al :)