Yet another case discussion..........

Here's an attempt at a different type of case. Prototypes, but with improvements...

My own persistent advice to those designing/building cases, derived from two near-disastrous incidents in the distant past:

If it opens like a clamshell (top section hinged to bottom section),
do
not
have a handle attached to the top section for carrying it.

With such a design, if the latch holding the case closed should fail, the bottom section will swing down and the concertina can slide/roll/fall out. Dropping from a height somewhere between your waist and knees is likely to cause damage, even if the concertina falls onto the grass.

Instead, a strap attached to opposite ends of the lower section of the case -- and placed so that the case is balanced, not tilted toward the side that opens -- will insure that even if the latch fails, the orientation of the case won't change and the instrument won't tumble out.

Those incidents I mentioned?

1. I was walking along at a folk festival when I felt the case holding my precious treble Aeola English fall open. Before I could even become consciously aware of what was happening (sometimes, it seems, it pays to be "thoughtless"), my knees bent, lowering the case to the ground, where the concertina rolled out onto (luckily) soft grass.

2. I was standing on a concrete train platform, holding the case containing my 80-button Maccann duet, when I felt the "lid" fall open. On that case the handle is on the "bottom" section, but on the "front". So relative to its orientation as I was holding it, what opened was on one "side". But the "lid" was hinged so that it swung downward, and its weight and momentum caused the entire case to tip, angling the opening downward. Disaster was averted because the size and inertia of the instrument made its exit from the case slow enough that I caught it halfway out. Since then, I always carry that and all similar cases with the "lid" side next to my thigh, so that if the latch fails, my leg will stop the case from opening.

The strap (and nowhere a handle affixed to only one side) on the case Steve Dickinson made for my treble Aeola is both convenient and extremely secure. When buckled, I can carry the case just as conveniently as with a handle on top, yet even if the top is unlatched the strap prevents it from opening enough to let the concertina out. I have to unbuckle the strap (easy enough) to remove the concertina. And the attachments for the two ends of the hand strap are metal rings, to which I've attached a shoulder strap "stolen" from an obsolete computer bag.

Here's an attempt at a different type of case. Prototypes, but with improvements...

My own persistent advice to those designing/building cases, derived from two near-disastrous incidents in the distant past:

If it opens like a clamshell (top section hinged to bottom section),
do
not
have a handle attached to the top section for carrying it.

With such a design, if the latch holding the case closed should fail, the bottom section will swing down and the concertina can slide/roll/fall out. Dropping from a height somewhere between your waist and knees is likely to cause damage, even if the concertina falls onto the grass.

Instead, a strap attached to opposite ends of the lower section of the case -- and placed so that the case is balanced, not tilted toward the side that opens -- will insure that even if the latch fails, the orientation of the case won't change and the instrument won't tumble out.

Those incidents I mentioned?

1. I was walking along at a folk festival when I felt the case holding my precious treble Aeola English fall open. Before I could even become consciously aware of what was happening (sometimes, it seems, it pays to be "thoughtless"), my knees bent, lowering the case to the ground, where the concertina rolled out onto (luckily) soft grass.

2. I was standing on a concrete train platform, holding the case containing my 80-button Maccann duet, when I felt the "lid" fall open. On that case the handle is on the "bottom" section, but on the "front". So relative to its orientation as I was holding it, what opened was on one "side". But the "lid" was hinged so that it swung downward, and its weight and momentum caused the entire case to tip, angling the opening downward. Disaster was averted because the size and inertia of the instrument made its exit from the case slow enough that I caught it halfway out. Since then, I always carry that and all similar cases with the "lid" side next to my thigh, so that if the latch fails, my leg will stop the case from opening.

The strap (and nowhere a handle affixed to only one side) on the case Steve Dickinson made for my treble Aeola is both convenient and extremely secure. When buckled, I can carry the case just as conveniently as with a handle on top, yet even if the top is unlatched the strap prevents it from opening enough to let the concertina out. I have to unbuckle the strap (easy enough) to remove the concertina. And the attachments for the two ends of the hand strap are metal rings, to which I've attached a shoulder strap "stolen" from an obsolete computer bag.

Thanks for the advice. I think what I will do with these two is add a pair of snaps/leather straps that will connect at the sides when transporting. That should avoid any disaters should the latch or hinges fail. I plan to make better ones and will bear your comments in mind. I have already been thinking about better handles and now will think about shoulder strap attachments. I couldn't find anyone in this area that was proficient in french polishing (my concertina needs finish repairs), so these were in part a practice project for french polishing. Now I have a good reason to make more, and hopefully my french polishing skills will have improved to the point where I can trust myself to do the 'tina. Thanks again for the advice.

Indeed. You will note that my case has the normal latch, and then a strap (actually a web gun belt) with a very robust clip over the top. My concerns were exactly as you stated.

The only accident I've had with it was a tumble out of the car when the door opened. Almost killed me, but didn't hurt the 'tina.

NNY

To my mind, the construction of the latch is of paramount importance to safety.

I have 2 concertina cases, both of the "clam shell" type, but both with the handle on the front of the body, not on top of the lid.

One of the catches (a modern one) is the simple type as shown in the photos earlier in this thread. After a couple of near accidents, I have made it a rule to insert my hand into the handle from above - where the catch is - and never fom below. Putting my hand in from below has led to my fingernails engaging in the catch and opening it.

My other case is the one that came with my vintage Lachenal. It's the same configuration - handle on the front of the body, under the catch - but the catch is different. It snaps closed, but to open it, you have to squeeze two spring-loaded lugs inwards, whereupon it flips open. This is never going to happen by accident, whichever way I grasp the handle, and if something accidentally knocks against one of the lugs, the catch still doesn't open.

I would suggest that, if only simple catches that can be opened accidentally are available, there should be at least two of them on the case. And they should be well away from the handle.

Cheers,

John

• 2 months later...

A friend was having a clear out, and has just passed on to me an old case (was for cameras).

And it makes an excellent concertina box for a treble - with room for some extras at the end.

Measurements 30x18x23 cm (11.5x7.5x 9 inches) an nice solid case in (I guess faux) leather, it has a good catch, and the handles aren't attached to the lid, so no risk of inadvertent concertina rollout!

post-758-0-60128900-1319369492_thumb.jpg post-758-0-82489500-1319369501_thumb.jpg

So if anyone in collecting distance (Cheshire/Manchester UK) wants a "flight style" case big enough to suit quite a big concertina or a small one with space left over - 28 x 24 x 22 cm (11 x 9 x 9.5 inches) please get in touch, it's going free - - it's not perfect (I had to replace handle rivet).

Chris

edited to add that it looks like these turn up on ebay now and again, this one seems the same dimensions. Mine came with the pair of carry handles shown here as well as the shoulder strap. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cf9716801

Edited by spindizzy

I have to thank Sean Fallon for all his work and research into the catches he used in the construction of his cases. These catches wil NEVER open accidentally by fingernail or otherwise. I am using them as well on the cases we are making. You can see them on my Friday, September 9, 2011 blog. ( http://edgleyconcertinas.blogspot.com ). Engage the catch, twist, and flatten the catch. These are designed for the secure shipping of delicate equipment cases, like cameras, scientific equipment etc.

Edited by Frank Edgley

I have to thank Sean Fallon for all his work and research into the catches he used in the construction of his cases. These catches wil NEVER open accidentally by fingernail or otherwise. I am using them as well on the cases we are making. You can see them on my Friday, September 9, 2011 blog. ( http://edgleyconcertinas.blogspot.com ). Engage the catch, twist, and flatten the catch. These are designed for the secure shipping of delicate equipment cases, like cameras, scientific equipment etc.

I have a Fallon case, and the latch is great; totally secure. But I also have one of the old IBM cases with the same kind of latch, and this one is incredibly loose. I suspect it was misaligned to begin with, or the case itself is somehow distorted.

So if anyone in collecting distance ...

Dang.

It's not often I wish I lived in England,

but that's a classy case!

Now I know what I'm going to look for.

Thanks for the inspiration!

So if anyone in collecting distance ...

Dang.

It's not often I wish I lived in England,

but that's a classy case!

Now I know what I'm going to look for.

Thanks for the inspiration!

The moral of the story is to let friends know about your obsession - even if they think that you're mad. Good things may appear from their clearouts, though I still haven't been offered a wheatstone from someone's attic!

Chris

ps the dimensions on this case might be a bit tight for a Rochelle/Jacky.