Historic recordings of the concertina from the 1920s reissued by ITMA

Hi All,

The Irish Traditional Music Archive have announced the release of their latest publication

The Westmeath Hunt: William Mullaly: The First Irish Concertina Player on Record, a CD and booklet of the historic 1926 & 1927 New York concertina recordings of William Mullaly from Westmeath.

See here for more details http://www.itma.ie/news/article/mullaly/

You can purchase a copy at the following link

http://www.itma.ie/itmashop/product/mullaly/

All the best

M.

Hello

Does anyone know how, once a person becomes a "FRIEND OF ITMA", he can acquire the proper code to receive the discount on purchases from the website?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by richard

Hi

I am a friend and now I can't figure out how to get my discount when I purchase. When you check out it has a spot for the discount code but I don't how I get my discount code.

This is my deplorable situation.

Richard

Hi

I am a friend and now I can't figure out how to get my discount when I purchase. When you check out it has a spot for the discount code but I don't how I get my discount code.

This is my deplorable situation.

Richard

I wonder if there are some glitches on the page. I made an error resulting in an order for 3 CDs, when I meant to order 1. None of the "cancel" or "update" buttons would work. I had to bail out before finishing my purchase, and re-try from another e-mail account.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received it, very easy to order with Paypal. Great enhancement of the original material . I had the cassette version thanks to colleagues on conc net. The booklet is excellent but still leaves some questions unanswered.

Mullally or Mullaly?, his name was spelled Mullally on the old 78 and in his local paper on emigrating. But his brother in the Sates is given as Mullaly and it's Mullaly on this CD Just interested.

Also ; if, as Jackie Small says, he played along the row in D in a two row style even on his 3 row Wheatstone bought in Birkenhead ( according to Dan Worrall's book he'd have and Ab/Eb tuned down) Or did he have the C row of a C/G tuned up? A G/D as commonly used today wouldn't be the best for his tunes with the bigger slower reeds..

As players like Chris Droney play in G along the G row of a C /G ( he is left handed according to Frank Edgely and would find it easier to use the little finger etc) and he gets octves using both hands on both rows, can I suggest a C tuned to D row and a standard G row ..Mullally doesn't seem to have used the accidental row , if it was the three row in his photo . (WmKimber also used a two row style on the three row he was given by EFDSS).

Some have said Mullally's could be D/A . Is there any evidence for that in his playing?. He could play in A on the pull on the D row if fhe missed out inconvenient notes. I had hoped for more discussion on how he tuned and played his concertina

I know you can get expert players who get marvels out of along the row push/pull , press/draw playing on Anglo concertina and one row melodeon . Do people think the 'modern' cross row styles which stemmed from Paddy Murphy et al., maybe trying to copy Mullally on a C/G) have led to loss of authenticity and will the revivalist efforts of some players take us back to the roots or off on an interesting antiquarian trip down memory lane.

To pay with flutes and fiddles in their keys has led to a change of style. D on a C/G is a much more complex style. G on a D row playing press and draw would be like Kitty hayes playing in F on the C row.

Try playing tunes that normally go in D transposed to C as a lot of the older players would have done to see what I mean..

Edited July 2012 to sort out some glitches

Edited by michael sam wild

• 11 years later...
21 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

Sorry about that, I had only allowed necessary cookies and didn't get the availability.

ITMA has at least some of Mullally's in their playlists, you may get them that way.

Here's one to get you started:

https://www.itma.ie/digital-library/sound/cid-231019

Thanks, Peter.  I see one more: https://www.itma.ie/digital-library/sound/cid-232166 

That first side was reissued by Rounder back in the 90s, sans the wall of needle scratches.  The other one I have too.  Other sides I found at the Comhaltas Archives, with their irritating little meep meep audio watermarks.  

It'd be great to have the booklet of course, but mostly I just want to hear him play, and this music is about as out of copyright as can be.

I have the old VivaVoce cassette, and one 78rpm, but never got the ITMA reissue. I did talk to Jackie Small when it was in preparation, he was very excited after the notion came to him that Mullally actually played a d/A. I donj't think I have digitised the tape but let me have a look around.

Green groves of Erin is on youtube:

• 1 year later...