Repairing action board cracks?...

Hi there,

David Elliott recommends plastic wood for a case like this (see attachment). I'm just worried about the crack widening and wonder if one could also glue a small strip of gauze for support under the action from below (of course making sure that the chamois gaskets are not affected by the support)?

Thanks for any input!

P.S. I'm also worried about the baggage retrieval system they got at Heathrow, but that's a different story...

post-8903-0-56081300-1311101141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

That crack looks much too thin to be able to insert a stiff filler like plastic wood.

I use two methodst to deal with cracks like this. If the crack is more than just a hairline I will widen the crack enough to glue in a slip of veneer. If its a very fine crack then you can make an effective repair with superglue which has the the ability to flow into the finest cracks. In either case you will need to strip out pads and levers in order to get good access, and it is very important to clamp the lower side to a flat surface while the glue sets.

P.S. I'm also worried about the baggage retrieval system they got at Heathrow, but that's a different story...

Yes, indeed!

After the experiences of both myself and various friends, I simply refuse to take any flight that begins or ends or -- most especially -- requires a transfer at Heathrow. Said experiences have included baggage lost, baggage sent to the wrong destination, and baggage seriously damaged. Too many such experiences for me to be willing to take any more chances with their baggage handling "system".

Yes, indeed!

After the experiences of both myself and various friends, I simply refuse to take any flight that begins or ends or -- most especially -- requires a transfer at Heathrow. Said experiences have included baggage lost, baggage sent to the wrong destination, and baggage seriously damaged. Too many such experiences for me to be willing to take any more chances with their baggage handling "system".

Hi Ruediger

I couldn't agree with Jim more. Carry it on. DON'T CHECK IT AS BAGGAGE. It's not worth the worry. It doesn't matter the cost, it's irreplaceable. If European convention has gone the way the US has, it also has the added bonus of not costing extra for your trip.

Thanks

Leo