Sessions in Edinburgh area

Hi ,

I'm looking for insider advice on sessions in the Edinburgh area this Summer. I'll be at Summer School at Queen Margaret University, Newcraighall, Sunday 7th to Sunday 14th August, and will need to find some music to stay sane! Sandy Bell's is obvious, but this is edinburgh festival time, so I guess a lot of these places will be very busy and maybe not so welcoming to a player without too much of a scottish repertoire playing hooky from weaving school. (I may call in just to listen)

Can anyone recommend anywhere small and friendly - not necesarily in the capital, I'll have to have a car with me to carry the loom so I could travel a bit.

Chris

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm way out of touch with Edinburgh sessions.

However, I've posted your request over on the Concertina in Scotland forum, so fingers crossed. ;)

Have a lovely time.

Cheers

Dick

P.S. If you visit the forum, be prepared to dodge the Tumbleweed! :P

Edited by Ptarmigan

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm way out of touch with Edinburgh sessions.

However, I've posted your request over on the Concertina in Scotland forum, so fingers crossed. ;)

Have a lovely time.

Cheers

Dick

P.S. If you visit the forum, be prepared to dodge the Tumbleweed! :P

Thanks - I'll keep my eyes open for replies there (no sign of a Tumbleweed!)

ps I got some tips on thesession.org - they also pointed me at Auchtermuchty festival which is that week and seems to have some promising sessions so I may venture across the Forth to the Kingdom of Fife.

Chris, I've thrown the net a little wider, so when you pop up to check the Scottish Concertina forum, you might like to go next door & see how a similar thread is doing, that I have just posted on Footstompin

By the way, I must confess that my motives are not entirely altruistic, as I may be back over in Edinburgh myself, this Summer. ;)

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Hi ,

I'm looking for insider advice on sessions in the Edinburgh area this Summer. I'll be at Summer School at Queen Margaret University, Newcraighall, Sunday 7th to Sunday 14th August, and will need to find some music to stay sane! Sandy Bell's is obvious, but this is edinburgh festival time, so I guess a lot of these places will be very busy and maybe not so welcoming to a player without too much of a scottish repertoire playing hooky from weaving school. (I may call in just to listen)

Can anyone recommend anywhere small and friendly - not necesarily in the capital, I'll have to have a car with me to carry the loom so I could travel a bit.

Chris

I'm afraid I don't go much into Edinburgh these days, so I don't know where the current sessions are.

Some of the links from other replies should give you more info in Edinburgh itself.

You will be sure of a welcome at Nitten Folk Club in Newtongrange, not very far away from your base.

The club meets every Thursday in the Dean Tavern, a pub with quite a history.

The traditional music weekend of Auchtermuchty Festival is on the weekend of 12th-14th August, so if you're free to pop over to Fife sometime that weekend you're sure to find some sessions happening - you might even find me there. For festival info see their website

• 4 weeks later...

Just back home now, after my foray to Edinburgh.

Thanks for all the help (especially Dick for reposting to Footstompin which also provided some help.

So..... I arrived at Queen Margarets Uni, just near Musselburgh on Sunday, and they kept us pretty busy all week, but on monday, I took my life (and an Edinburgh A to Z) in my hands and took the bus to town. I called in at Sandy Bell's expecting just to listen, but there was an EC player, fiddle, pipes, guitar, and flute players there who kindly let me sit in and play along to the tunes that I knew, for a while until I had to dash back for the last bus. (all to soon)

On thursday another gap in the schedule occurred, so I navigated my car to the approx. area of "The Antiquary" and joined another very fine session (no other concertinas, but some excellent strings). Since I had managed to drive there, I could stay a bit later without the "last bus" pressure. Everyone was so friendly and I really enjoyed hearing a different repertoire to my local sessions with such good musicians.

I'd hoped to divert to the Auchtermuchty festival but the summer school packed the end of the week with work so it didn't happen ... it looks like they got flooded out by the rain as well :-(

Thanks agina for the advice (I'll repost this on Footstompin)

Chris

I'd hoped to divert to the Auchtermuchty festival but the summer school packed the end of the week with work so it didn't happen ... it looks like they got flooded out by the rain as well

No, Muchty festival went ahead as usual - another enjoyable weekend.

One of the camp sites was waterlogged, but the other one was open, but reserved for tents only, so caravans and camper vans had to go further afield, or improvise!

Since most of the activities take place in halls or pubs, they were not affected by the weather, and the sun came out for the open air dance in the square on Sunday afternoon.

Sorry we didn't meet, but I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Scotland.