This Wheatstone 48

ceemonster

i'm not prepared to purchase an EC right now (er, i think), but now i wish to learn more. the wheatstone in this listing looks like the kind that if i went that far with an ec, would be what i would really like to have--a model that at least reputedly is a loud and fast example yet with that inimitable wheatstone sound. i love the metal-ended sound. a listing like this---you can't buy something like this without it being vetted by someone in a position to open it and assure you that a) the reeds are indeed steel wheatstone reeds and have not had a large percentage replaced over the last centuryish and B) the reeds are in good condition...also the pans, the action, etc. i assume there is someone not far from lancashire who could do this for a fee, but.....i know it's not an aeola, but is this kind of wheatstone the kind of ec that, if all was indeed in good condition, goes for a lot? is no one bidding on it because it'll all happen at the last minute? or because of the issues i cited, not knowing its condition? thanks in advance, sages and wisemen.... :unsure:

Edited by ceemonster

Part of it could be last-minute bidding, Cee. I just lost a Lachenal Crane in heavy bidding in the last 20 sec of the auction that I'd held hight bid on ... with a large bump for contingencies ... for almost the whole auction. Part of the fun and frustration of the Eeeb.

thanks. i wondered because even if it's down to the wire at the end, usually stray early bids pop up if the item is desirable and the price isn't way out of line. i have a feel for the anglo market for different makes/models, but very little about ECs. i do know enough to be aware that aeola and edeophone prices have gotten way up there....is that also true of examples like this by both makers? i always assume the ranges on chris algar's page might low by a couple years.... :rolleyes:

sorry you didn't get your crane.

Edited by ceemonster

There's another model 22 Wheatstone on ebay at the moment at a much lower current bid - but you'd nee to be quick - it ends in 9 hours!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130545454704&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Same caveats apply as you've mentioned, but this vendor sold a larger model within 24 hours in a Buy-it-now a week ago. I'm now longer in Aberdeen or I'd have taken a look

Alex

thank you for your alert! i don't think i'm ready to purchase. but i'm ready to start educating myself! and yes, i'm taken with the model 22s, but don't know enough about the ec landscape, but for some general awareness about metal-ended edeophones also being a sound i really like, and being aware that they're pretty darn expensive....

that other 22 is nice-looking also. but there's the rub with these kinds of sales---i had an experience about five/six years ago with a jeffries. i had a pending purchase of one in the uk (i'm in the us) mutually rescinded by the seller (not thru ebay) and myself after it went for supposedly routine/minor pre-shipping adjustment to one of the uk concertina makers/restorers, who told me that 85% of the reeds were not jeffries reeds, but lachenal or lachenal-level reeds replaced over the previous century during various repairs. it wasn't a scam by the seller, it was just one of those things. but that experience was an eye-opener. i wouldn't be able to buy something on a posting like these ebay listings without an arrangement for the instrument to go to someone like andrew norman or colin dipper or etcetera for a look-see. well, i'm only at the research stage, and more will be revealed....

Edited by ceemonster

.....i know it's not an aeola, but is this kind of wheatstone the kind of ec that, if all was indeed in good condition, goes for a lot?

Yes.

I don't believe you can say that this one, model 22, is a lesser model than an aeola. From what I've seen (as a repairer rather than a player) the Aeola and the model 22 were built to the same very high quality standard, the 22 tends to be louder, and brighter, the Aeola more mellow. The 22 might be slightly lighter than an equivalent Aeola.

Very nice the model 22, I have one and I'm quite happy with it. It has a good sound, this is me playing it:

Sometimes I have to open it because there must be something obstructing the reeds, for that I take the reed, blow through it, put it back, and It goes back to normal.

The only advise I can give is to have a look at the felts, when I bought mine I didn't realise that they were the original ones (from 1917) and I've been changing them. I didn't do this myself, I had to pay each time. If you don't put new felts, as the concertina is metal ended, and the buttons are made of metal, you get a clacking sound that interfieres with the music.

I'm going to see closely that auction of that model 22 on ebay. I paid 2,000 pounds for mine two years ago, the case was not the original, was a cheap one that the dealer gave me for free.

ah, well, now i AM learning things. yes, this is very much the kind of sound i would like, more so than the aeola.....lovely concertina and lovely playing, too. somehow, theo, i had a feeling this was an expensive one. gee, they're great. i can see how others would prefer the aeola sound, but this would be the right thing for me.....individual taste, i guess....

Edited by ceemonster

somehow, theo, i had a feeling this was an expensive one. gee, they're great. i can see how others would prefer the aeola sound, but this would be the right thing for me.....individual taste, i guess....

The absolute best ones are those made for Harry Boyd's music shop in Newcastle upon Tyne. They have "H Boyd" worked into the fretwork on the right hand side. Rumour has it that Mr Boyd knew many of Wheatstone's staff, and would specify which craftsmen were to build his instruments. Very few were made, a friend of mine has been searching for years and found one last year.

thanks. i wondered because even if it's down to the wire at the end, usually stray early bids pop up if the item is desirable and the price isn't way out of line. i have a feel for the anglo market for different makes/models, but very little about ECs. i do know enough to be aware that aeola and edeophone prices have gotten way up there....is that also true of examples like this by both makers? i always assume the ranges on chris algar's page might low by a couple years.... :rolleyes:

sorry you didn't get your crane.

Thanks, Cee but not to worry. I'd already sewn up a Wheatstone 55 key Crane. This was a 42 key Lachenal which is apparently not common. I wanted one for the family. But I'm sure another will turn up someday.

I did buy it. I was surprised to get it at the price too. I've been hankering after one since I sold mine to a lady who wouldn't accept no as an answer (re selling the concertina!). I talked to the seller and it has been in the one family from new so hopefully it is untouched. The other one concerned me as the seller didn't know who had re-tuned it. They both look nice though.

Edited by Paul Read