English Concertina Recordings.....

I just received The Concertina Record by Lea Nicholson & Black Boxes by Sarah Graves. After a quick listen to each of them I'm impressed with both. I had never before heard the Lea Nicholson recording which was recorded in the 1970's. I didn't know what I was missing, as every cut is great. I'm not sure how available this CD is, so I'd snatch it up when you get the chance. This is IMO, an essential recording if you like English concertina, and more importantly it's great fun. Contact info is..... Jayls@ jamring.com www.jamring.com

I really like Black Boxes too, but I need to listen to it some more. I very much like her playing style.

bruce boysen

It took Lea several years to record all of The Concertina Record, especially the last movement of the Brandenburg Concerto (listen & you can hear the difference in the sound quality), but it was very well worth all the effort !

These days I can hardly believe that nearly all the concertinas in the sleeve photograph belonged to me at the time, I had a very heavily loaded MGB going to the photo shoot !

It took Lea several years to record all of The Concertina Record, especially the last movement of the Brandenburg Concerto (listen & you can hear the difference in the sound quality), but it was very well worth all the effort !

These days I can hardly believe that nearly all the concertinas in the sleeve photograph belonged to me at the time, I had a very heavily loaded MGB going to the photo shoot !

Stephen,

With the CD cover art it's hard to even tell that there are concertinas in the photo. It's just a little postage stamp photo in the corner. It's someone in a bright red outfit possibly surrounded by concertinas. I take it that it's a reproduction of the cover art from the LP? I guess that's Lea?

On both these CD's it would be fun to know more about exactly what concertinas are being played on each track.

bruce boysen

With the CD cover art it's hard to even tell that there are concertinas in the photo. It's just a little postage stamp photo in the corner. It's someone in a bright red outfit possibly surrounded by concertinas. I take it that it's a reproduction of the cover art from the LP? I guess that's Lea?

Bruce,

You guess correctly, on all counts. It is Lea wearing a red showman's, or ringmaster's outfit, with a sea of top quality English concertinas before him.

On both these CD's it would be fun to know more about exactly what concertinas are being played on each track.

He was playing his regular instruments, I think one of them was on loan from Neil Wayne, it may say on the LP but unfortunately my copy is packed away, along with just about everything else I own, for my move to Kilrush in the morning !

Cheers,

Prefer not to buy off E-bay and the contact information seems not to be working

Take it from me, dealing with Lea through eBay is not a problem. he is selling the CDs "Buy it now" which means you know immediately that you've succeeded, and also he is completely honourable. I have his email address, but I would prefer not to post it in open forum. If you really don't want to use eBay, send me an email.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3735508394&rd=1

If you don't want to use the Buy It Now feature to buy the CD you could try to contact the seller through that ebay function. I bought it with buy it now and the CD arrived promptly. I would jump on this if you play/like english concertina. Got to go listen to the first track and practice my silly walk for the Squeeze-in.

bruce boysen