Music Sessions in the North East

Hi

I'm shortly moving to Saltburn by the Sea and am very interested to find out what sessions there are in the area. If anyone could help and let me know where they are that would be great.

Cheers :unsure:

Hello. Here's a facebook page for Saltburn Folk Club , and links to the Cutty Wren Folk Club in Skelton and the 14th Saltburn Folk Festival smile.gif If you can get to the folk clubs someone's bound to know when and where the sessions are Edited by anlej

Hi

I'm shortly moving to Saltburn by the Sea and am very interested to find out what sessions there are in the area. If anyone could help and let me know where they are that would be great.

Cheers :unsure:

There is a regular meeting of the Northumbrian pipers at Sedgefield - I've seen concertinas there.

I don't have any contact details unfortunately - any C.net members in the area have details?

Steve

Also folk club at The Sun in Stockton on Mondays.

Edited by SteveS

biggrin.gif ......... and here's a link to a page giving information for the North East Concertina Players , they meet up in Sedgefield but may have some members near Saltburn

If you work out the dates, you will find that NECP will be meeting in the Ceddesfield Hall from 2pm this Sunday.

Not exactly a session; mainly band playing from dots. Most of us play English although Geoff "Tootler" Walker will probably be there with his Anglo. He lives in Middlesbrough and probably knows more about sessions near Saltburn.

You would be very welcome.

yet more .....biggrin.gif there was a new 'Folk in the Afternoon' club which started in May, meeting every Tuesday afternoon at the 'Cleveland Bay', Ings Road, Redcar. TS10 2DD

I got to the first meeting and really enjoyed it but haven't managed to get back since. The pub's just next to the Redcar East Railway station.

If you mean tune sessions where someone starts and all jump in and play there is not much on Teesside as far as I know - unless someone has been keeping one secret. Plenty of singarounds though and you would be welcome to play tunes at most. I tend to mix it.

To add to those already mentioned, there is the White Hart at Mickleby on Saturdays, two folk clubs in Guisborough: the Rugby club on Sundays and the Cricket club on Fridays.

Geoff

If you mean tune sessions where someone starts and all jump in and play there is not much on Teesside as far as I know - unless someone has been keeping one secret. Plenty of singarounds though and you would be welcome to play tunes at most. I tend to mix it.

To add to those already mentioned, there is the White Hart at Mickleby on Saturdays, two folk clubs in Guisborough: the Rugby club on Sundays and the Cricket club on Fridays.

Geoff

There is stuff going on and some is based around a few indviduals and small groups who play regularly - maybe you can ask around.

There are some pipe and squeezebox players around Ushaw Moor and Esh Winning and Brancepeth.

e.g.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/durham/8805004.Small_pipe_expert_s_city_folk_club_date/

I know this basically brass but there will be lots of fiddlers and pipers around the place. (not least because of Tickell).

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2011/1242.asp

The people who organise the Durham summer music school (Theo over at melnet will know these folk as well as the Darlington music crowd

http://www.darlingtonfolkmusicweekend.org.uk/

If you come across this singer and his group Joglaresa he will give you some tips on who what and where between Langley Park and Saltburn (his home stomping ground)

http://www.myspace.com/micksands

Edited by Kautilya