jefferies English system

smallcoals

I have to agree that this is a re-badged something: Crabb or otherwise. My reasoning is that the label shows this instrument as coming from the 23 Praed Street location. They did not move to this location until 1891 which is some 21 years after their first recorded location at White Lion Passage. I don't think anyone knows for sure when Jeffries started making their own instruments, but it is reasonable to assume that after at least 21 years, they were probably doing their own building. Of course, if Geoff or someone else has contrary information, I'd love to hear it. Of course, a way to see if this 'tina is in any way a Jeffries is to open it up and look at the reeds.

Ross Schlabach

If it is a Jeffries then maybe it is very collectable. If a person is looking for an EC to actually play then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

As is noted in a previous thread I did have one of these for a short while, in 1990, but could not get on with the keyboard. In fact it had one of the worst "actions" I have ever encountered.

So this one, if it has a good set of reeds, would need (IMHO) a complete action rebuild/replacement, a new bellows ( the old one is probably a four folder of too heavy a construction) and then all the usual service parts. This would make for a very expensive instrument.

As the vendor says, he is offering it "as is" because of its collectable status.

Yes, this is a very curious instrument indeed. I've played the Jeffries English that is now locked up at the Horniman, and it is without a doubt the finest English I've ever seen or played. Would love to see the innards of this wooden-ended one!

Gary

Gary:

Did the Horniman Jeffries have a radial pad pattern? Best - Ed

Ed, Sorry to say I never looked inside. It was owned by Neil Wayne at the time, and I remember Marie Robson playing it, so maybe one of them knows? Here is a photo taken in 1979. Lovely instrument. If it ever goes missing....I will deny everything!

Gary

post-322-0-58126500-1310053297_thumb.jpg

Gary:

Did the Horniman Jeffries have a radial pad pattern? Best - Ed

That's the detail that's been worrying me. You can just see that this concertina reed pan is constructed radially, which of course is not typical of Jeffries.

Chris

I can see that some, but not necessarily all, of the pads are arranged radially, but it doesn't obviously follow that the reed chambers are. For instance, this photo essay on Concertina.com which shows the internals of a 60-odd button Jeffries MacCann duet with radial pad arrangement but parallel reed chambers. It's interesting the Horniman concertina end plates look as you'd expect a Jeffries English to look, whereas the Aussie one doesn't.

Chris

In the wooden-ended EC, it looks like there are too many pads along the sides for a rectangular system of reed chambers. Only conjecture until we see photos of the insides...

For some reason I only took a photo of the left side of the metal-ended Horniman EC, I guess I was saving film because I was taking photos of lots of concertinas. But I only noticed today, after all these years, that the metal ends were actually designed for a 56-button EC!

Gary

One last ere I sleep.

The last picture in the auction shows the interior of the concertina, and suggests strongly that the reeds are in a typical Wheatstone layout about the edges. Agreed - or am I simply too tired to reach the power button?

E.