Bayne Concertina On Ebay

musical priest

Well, I'm the unhappy highest bidder at the moment for this instrument. I want to thank all those board members, who informed me about the warning given on Concertina.net now about this fraud.

But here's my question (especially to those who have more Ebay experience than I have): How to get out of it? It's not a scam as many others, it's obviously just a very bad instrument the maker never intended to be sold like this.

I'd appreciate any hint, what to do now.

Thanks

Claus

If he has misrepresented the instrument, you have cause to back out from your bid. Contact the seller and tell him that you want to retract your bid and explain why. If he tries to hold you to the bid, and he gives you negative feedback, you can explain via response the misrepresentation (and what Mrs Bayne said etc...). Do not pay him if you feel that he has falsely advertised.

Good luck!

Hello Claus,

First contact Brian and ask him to cancel your bids. If he refuses to do so earlier than 12 hours prior to the end of the auction, then simply retract your bid with an explanation.

Hopefully, Brian will not expect you to purchase an instrument that does not meet your expectations as represented. If he does, then simply retract your bid with an explanation.

A bid retraction is not the "end of your world" on Ebay. Better to retract with an explanation than to simply bail on the deal.

Be Well,

Dan

The auction has just been ended by the seller. Ooofff - great sigh of relief!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Mr.Bellows and Dan for your comments, thanks to all those folks who sent me a mail of warning, and thanks to Freda Bayne who gave out the warning in the first place!!!

Well, and thanks to concertina.net and all it's members. It's great to have such a helpful forum. :D

Cheers

Claus

Edited by musical priest

I'm still left wondering if it might not have been worth buying after all ? (For the right price.) Although Hamish may not have felt it was the best he could make, I don't suppose he would have let it out of his workshop if it did not play at least reasonably well.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I'm still left wondering if it might not have been worth buying after all ? (For the right price.) Although Hamish may not have felt it was the best he could make, I don't suppose he would have let it out of his workshop if it did not play at least reasonably well.

Stephen, there seems to be more than one issue here.

... 1) The instrument is probably worth some money, but while it may have been made by Hamish, it is not a true "Holmwood". That's the price/value issue.

... 2) Freda Bayne suggests that Mr. Chesters, the seller, obtained the instrument by means that are unethical, if not illegal. So the question arises as to whether one of us would want to be a party to such an act, i.e., to help him profit by it by buying it from him.

... 3) Vern Lindquist suggests further that Mr. Chesters is not to be trusted to deliver the goods to the buyer undamaged. That would also seem to be a reason to avoid doing business with him.

And each of us has to make up his/her own mind.

Hello Claus, et.al.,

This sort of outcome is just what "community" is about.

I, for one, think a good thing happened as a direct result of thoughtful, vis-a-vis indifferent, folks taking just a moment to do the right thing for their "neighbor."

I'm sure glad that this "community" is here.

Thanks to all who participate and make this possible.

Be Well,

Dan

The auction has just been ended by the seller. Ooofff - great sigh of relief!!!!  :rolleyes:

and thanks to Freda Bayne who gave out the warning in the first place!!! 

Congratulations, Claus, I think you should now give consideration to commissioning a new concertina from Hamish... :lol:

or at least buying a lottery ticket! B)

Edited by malcolm clapp

The auction has just been ended by the seller. Ooofff - great sigh of relief!!!!  :rolleyes:

and thanks to Freda Bayne who gave out the warning in the first place!!! 

Congratulations, Claus, I think you should now give consideration to commissioning a new concertina from Hamish... :lol:

or at least buying a lottery ticket! B)

You're damn right, Malcolm, I just have to make up my mind what to do first ... :D

Picking an instrument up personally from Mr. Chesters might be safe. However, if my experience speaks to anything, it should warn others away from doing mail-order business with him on Ebay. I consider his dealing with me to have been most unsatisfactory. He didn't pack the instruments well enough to give them a fighting chance of arriving in good order, and when confronted on this deliberately put me off with false promises until I had no recourse against him--and then he refused to communicate with me further.

Edited by VernLindquist

I see that Brian Chesters has now made his eBay feedback "Private", which is something that would always put me off bidding in an auction. However, when it was available, I got the impression that a dissatisfied customer seemed to be running an email campaign against him, contacting bidders/buyers in his auctions. He has nothing for sale at present.

Picking an instrument up personally from Mr. Chesters might be safe. However, if my experience speaks to anything, it should warn others away from doing mail-order business with him on Ebay. I consider his dealing with me to have been most unsatisfactory.  He didn't pack the instruments well enough to give them a fighting chance of arriving in good order, and when confronted on this deliberately put me off with false promises until I had no recourse against him--and then he refused to communicate with me further.

And now he is preventing others from reading his feedback by making it "private."

• 1 year later...
I see that Brian Chesters has now made his eBay feedback "Private", which is something that would always put me off bidding in an auction. However, when it was available, I got the impression that a dissatisfied customer seemed to be running an email campaign against him, contacting bidders/buyers in his auctions. He has nothing for sale at present.

But I see that he is now selling an Edeophone #54663 on eBay, though you might not realise who the seller was as he has changed his eBay identity twice in the past year. He was trading as brianchesters from 19-Jan-00 until 02-Mar-05, then as 2puerile from 02-Mar-05 'til 06-May-05, and now as timeless-jewellery-lytham since 06-May-05.

His feedback is no longer "Private", and whilst he has had no negatives in the past year, the negative and neutral part makes interesting reading.

However, I am not for one moment suggesting that there is anything at all untoward with this concertina.

Smells like a scoundrel to me. Just another reason I'm put off by ebay. I've come this close to purchasing a used spinning wheel for me darlin' from a dealer in New Zealand. This bit made me reconsider.

The amount of skullduggery detailed in the negitative/neutral would suggest more that incompetence. :angry: