Wheatstone 35123

Last year, I had a Wheatstone Crane Duet, S/N 35347, which was a 1941 Model 74. It was a 55 key hexagonal, flat ebony-ended Crane duet with 6 fold bellows. Shouldn't have sold it but I did. I've fround another Crane that i may purchase but I'd like a little help with the model numbers, if anyone has any insight. this one is S/N 35123 which is a 1938 Model 77. It's also 55-key ebony ended but seems to have raised ends. I have'nt seen it in person yet so am inferrring this from the pictures that the owner sent to me.

I looked at the pre-war Wheatstone price lists that Chris Algar put up on Concertina .com but they only list 'real' Wheatstone duets. The model numbers for hexagonal insturments range from 32 to 39. Is there a corresponding set of Crane models that would include models 74 adn 77?

Any help would be appreicated!

Last year, I had a Wheatstone Crane Duet, S/N 35347, which was a 1941 Model 74. It was a 55 key hexagonal, flat ebony-ended Crane duet with 6 fold bellows. Shouldn't have sold it but I did. I've fround another Crane that i may purchase but I'd like a little help with the model numbers, if anyone has any insight. this one is S/N 35123 which is a 1938 Model 77. It's also 55-key ebony ended but seems to have raised ends. I have'nt seen it in person yet so am inferrring this from the pictures that the owner sent to me.

I looked at the pre-war Wheatstone price lists that Chris Algar put up on Concertina .com but they only list 'real' Wheatstone duets. The model numbers for hexagonal insturments range from 32 to 39. Is there a corresponding set of Crane models that would include models 74 adn 77?

Yes

As I wrote the above I was thinking that increasing model numbers should indicate increasing numbers of buttons, and therefore the model 77 should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 buttons, not 55. But a quick browse of the ledger indicates that's not quite the case; other qualities are also indicated by changing model numbers (with increasing numbers indicating increasing "quality"?).

• 35078 is a model 79, and says "55 keys".
  • 35043-35045 are model 71, "Rosewood 48 keys".
  • 35046-35048 are model 73 "E[bony] 48 keys".
  • 35019 is model 80, "E 60 keys octo [Aeola]".
  • And 35075 is model 76, but clearly a special order: "50 keys 7½ Edeo".

So I think the model number you've been quoted is probably correct, and the difference in model number does distinguish between flat ends and raised ends. And raised ends is usually an indication of better overall (original) quality.

If I were you, I would also ask about the range in each hand. I've personally seen two 55-key Wheatstone Craneswhich went down to G below the usual C in both hands (with corresponding reduction at the high end). They were both Aeolas, but still... if you're lucky enough to have come across one of those, I'll be quite jealous. ;)

Thank you, Jim. This particular 55 stops at C on both sides. Yes, I'd be quite quite happy if this Wheatstone had that change in compass.

I can see why you would like such an instrument. I have a 59 that also includes an F below the G --- plays hymns really well. However, that top row on the "regular" 55 might be missed more than you think. Better to have one of each, I guess.