30-key Anglo wanted

Paddy League

Hello folks!

After many years of dormancy, I'm returning to the world of Irish concertina playing. I have a sweet old Jones 26-key Anglo (wood ends, bone keys) that I've been playing, and am contemplating an upgrade. So if anyone hears of a (preferably Jeffries) 30-key out there, do let me know! Might contemplate selling/trading the Jones to help pay for a new one.

Happy squeezing,

Paddy

Welcome Paddy! For those of you who don't know him, he is an amazing musician on other instruments (did a nice CD with Grey Larsen), and I recall him as a prodigious learner in Father Charlie Coen's class at Swannanoa ten years ago.

Ken

Hi Ken, and everyone!

Well, there's always a line and a promise of a heavily dented checkbook in the concertina universe, isn't there?

I know this isn't always realistic when looking for a concertina, but I always like to play an instrument in person before purchasing. Is there anyone within striking distance of Boston who has one for sale?

I'd call Chris Algar, Paddy. If anyone has or can find what you want he can. My checkbook is filling in for its next bashing!

Also Greg Jowaisas .... who usualy has a tasty anglo or two that you'd only know about by asking him.

Both are fairly stealth advertisers when it comes to their current stock.

Hello Paddy

I don't know how you feel about buying from the UK or whether it must be a 30 key instrument, but I have a 39 key Jeffries in absolutely top condition in C/G. You could send me a PM if you are serious about a top quality instrument and feel able to undertake a trans-Atlantic purchase. I'm not a dealer and this is a personal instrument, which I'm not in any hurry to sell - its not going to ebay or be sold elsewhere! Please feel free to come back to me later if other avenues don't get you what you want. All the best with your search and happy playing.

Tony

Hey Paddy,

I'm afraid I'm not much help for you finding a new 30 button, but I'm glad you're returning to the instrument. I was saddened when you decided to lay it down, but you were pursuing important things so it's all good.

Seeing you here jogged my memory and prompted me to look for an old tape I thought I had, and I found it-- you (on concertina) and Tim Britton playing a few tunes, and I think that was recorded in a hotel room session in Dallas around 1999 or 2000, I'm not sure (all I wrote on the label was "P. League/T. Britton"). If you like I can put those tunes on mp3 and send those to you. Fine playing.

Come see us in Alabama, we'll leave the back door unlocked for you!

Rick

(still not cleaving righteous flesh)

Edited by RickC

Hi Ken, and everyone!

Well, there's always a line and a promise of a heavily dented checkbook in the concertina universe, isn't there?

I know this isn't always realistic when looking for a concertina, but I always like to play an instrument in person before purchasing. Is there anyone within striking distance of Boston who has one for sale?

Actually, the Crabb and I are within striking distance of Boston. Unfortunately, it's the original town of that name...

All the best with the search!

David Robertson