Stack Ryan

Has anyone here ever heard field recordings of Stack Ryan? We all know of him...and several Irish players play tunes attributed to Ryan...but I'm wondering if recordings of Stack himself might have survived somewhere. Seems like I heard of such....but cannot quite figure out how or where. Any knowledge gratefully received!

I'm working on a project to gather and help disseminate (as far as is possible and permissable) various old field recordings of very early Anglo players around the world (pre-folk revival), following up on my history books. I have quite a heap of recordings so far...but info tips are always helpful!

Cheers,

Dan

Has anyone here ever heard field recordings of Stack Ryan? We all know of him...and several Irish players play tunes attributed to Ryan...but I'm wondering if recordings of Stack himself might have survived somewhere. Seems like I heard of such....but cannot quite figure out how or where. Any knowledge gratefully received!

I'm working on a project to gather and help disseminate (as far as is possible and permissable) various old field recordings of very early Anglo players around the world (pre-folk revival), following up on my history books. I have quite a heap of recordings so far...but info tips are always helpful!

Cheers,

Dan

How about http://comhaltasarch...ie/tracks/13526? I could only access the preview as a guest, but you may well have an account.

That is a fragment from Ciaran MacMathuna's 'Job of Journeywork' for RTE. I have that on tape and had completely forgotten it had Stack Ryan in it. I recall the whole series was available commercially at some point.

I have not come across any copies of the Stack Ryan recordings floating around. I do have a good stretch of Kathleen Harrington in duet with Lizzie Crotty and have even managed to find a copy of the recordings Ciaran Mac made here of Paddy Killoran during his visits here. Which is probably most notable, in a concertina sense, for the appearance of Mrs Crotty in duet with Josie Hayes. RTE, according to reports, has lost their original copy of that one. Mick Tubridy found a copy of that track, on acetate disc, in the home of Lizzie Crotty after her death but lost it.

Edited by Peter Laban

I believe there was a commercial tape available that I got from the Buttonbox years ago. It was certainly not a studio recording, but a bunch of field recordings. I will check, if I remember. It's at the workshop.

Thanks, Frank....I'm very interested!!!!

That is a fragment from Ciaran MacMathuna's 'Job of Journeywork' for RTE. I have that on tape and had completely forgotten it had Stack Ryan in it. I recall the whole series was available commercially at some point.

I have not come across any copies of the Stack Ryan recordings floating around. I do have a good stretch of Kathleen Harrington in duet with Lizzie Crotty and have even managed to find a copy of the recordings Ciaran Mac made here of Paddy Killoran during his visits here. Which is probably most notable, in a concertina sense, for the appearance of Mrs Crotty in duet with Josie Hayes. RTE, according to reports, has lost their original copy of that one. Mick Tubridy found a copy of that track, on acetate disc, in the home of Lizzie Crotty after her death but lost it.

Thanks, Peter. I've since found that one lonely track at the CCE site....an air...and have written the RTE folks to se if anything else exists from Ciaran MacMathunas music files. THere is a relative wealth of Crotty's music in the CCE files, too. A very few are ones that are of particular interest to me...old style octave players.

• 8 years later...

I know a lot about Stack Ryan. My Grandparents bought his cottage and farm when he died. All his belongings from inside his house were auctioned off and the cottage and farm were sold as Stack and his wife Elle had no family and there relatives in America sold everything. Stacks proper name was Michael. I don think there was anything left in the house from his music when we got it. Stacks house is now used as a storage shed and we live right next to it. My grandmother remembers calling to Stack with her brother Tom Carey when they were younger learning music from him. I'm currently in Stacks kitchen typing this. His cottage is located halfway between Kilmihil and Cree village.