Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana

I found this recording:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/reuben-shaw/tracks/cavalleria-rusticana--177174707

(The interface is a bit quirky: if it does not start playing immediately, look for a tab at the bottom right and click on it.)

The sheet music is here:

http://www.concertina.com/stanley/stanley-intermezzo-from-cavalleria-rusticana.pdf

The lowest note is the second F below middle C. I guess it is a 71 button concertina.

Does anybody of any other recordings by Shaw?

Thanks,

ocd

Irritating; it says only available in USA. I wouldn't have minded hearing what RS makes of it; I've had it as a party piece for some time now and yes, you need a 71 or what both RS and me used to have, a 67 with a low F replacing the G sharp. (He's dead and I moved mine on.)

The recordings on c.c weren't working either when I tried them.

I don't think they were ever really there.

No, nor do I; I've tried a few times over the years.

I don't think they were ever really there.

No, nor do I; I've tried a few times over the years.

I apologize if I raised expectations. The format of some of the Rueben Shaw section on concertina.com had changed and I assumed Bob had finally set up the videos.

I will recommend the Garland DVD of Reuben. I was in touch with filmaker Barry Callaghan before his unfortunate death. Barry was very patient and persistent in getting me a DVD of his film with Reuben that was compatible with a North American format. If memory serves many of Reuben's demonstration pieces in the film were from the Stanley manuscripts so there are dots readily available for the tunes that Reuben plays.

Here is a link to Garland films: http://www.garlandfilms.co.uk/index.html

Here is a link to an in memoriam article about Barry and his work:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Barry+Callaghan+(1941-2007).-a0192323372

I have no idea of Garland's status since Barry's passing but I would think it worth a phone call or an email for any MacCann enthusiast.

Greg

PS. Might also be worthwhile to drop Bob Gaskins a line at concertina.com to check on progress of the Shaw videos. We all tend to work a little harder if we know people are interested and depending on us.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Folkways Record FW 8845 Side 1 track 2

Reuban Shaw (Duet) and Wilfred Pearce (Tenor Treble English) together.

Recordings compiled by Richard Carlin around 1975.

Although the recordings are not of studio quality, 'some' pretty amazing stuff on other tracks.

Geoff

I have some recordings of Reuben Shaw most towards the latter stages of his life and some spoilt by background noise.I do however have some fantastic recordings of Reuben together with Herbert Hague and Wilfred Pearce (both playing English System)as "The Derwent Trio" These are almost a certainty for Duet International when Graham gets around to releasing it.

Al

...Reuben together with Herbert Hague and Wilfred Pearce (both playing English System)as "The Derwent Trio" These are almost a certainty for Duet International...

Not "Trio International", then? Or should it be "Quartet International", since it's a duet and two singles?

Ah, I have it!

"Ensemble International"... with various examples of concertinas sharing the spotlight with other instruments, including other concertinas, and also vocals.

Y'know what? I think that's seriously a good idea... IF you and Graham could find time to do it. (Please note that I'm not holding my breath. ;))

Folkways Record FW 8845 Side 1 track 2

Reuban Shaw (Duet) and Wilfred Pearce (Tenor Treble English) together.

It's absolutely gorgeous, in fact my favourite track on the album.

You can hear samples/buy tracks over the internet, from the Smithsonian Folkways website:

http://www.folkways.si.edu/TrackDetails.aspx?itemid=30178

...Reuben together with Herbert Hague and Wilfred Pearce (both playing English System)as "The Derwent Trio" These are almost a certainty for Duet International...

Not "Trio International", then? Or should it be "Quartet International", since it's a duet and two singles?

Ah, I have it!

"Ensemble International"... with various examples of concertinas sharing the spotlight with other instruments, including other concertinas, and also vocals.

Y'know what? I think that's seriously a good idea... IF you and Graham could find time to do it. (Please note that I'm not holding my breath. ;))

It is a good idea Jim, but I am struggling to get Duet off the blocks at the moment and possibly Concertina Band and groups after that, nearly three years work of mine, with a waiting audience and even some advanced sales on a desk in Coventry waiting for the starting gun.To be fair it is a very costly commitment at a very difficult financial period.

A lottery grant might do it.

Al