Singapore

Hello all,

I'm going to Singapore on business on the first of June, and will be staying there for two weeks. I wonder what's there to do, apart from the regular mainstream sightseeing. Any sessions, or irish (music) pubs, or any reed instrument makers/dealers worth mentioning? Any other general music scenes that could be interesting to visit?

I'll have plenty of guides with local knowledge, but I doubt they know much about concertinas, irish music, or any music at all. All advice is much appreciated!

Kind regards

I'll have plenty of guides with local knowledge, but I doubt they know much about concertinas, irish music, or any music at all. All advice is much appreciated!

Hi, Gutsen,

Why don't you take advantage of visiting foreign parts to hear what they have to offer in the way of music? I bet they're better at Malayan music that they are at Irish music.

Music is like beverages: when I go back home to Ireland, I look forward to a good cup of tea - and when I return to Germany, I look forward to a good cup of coffee.

Coffee in Ireland? No! Tea in Germany? No!

Last summer, I had a very disappointing holiday. I was in Dubai - my first visit to an Arab country - and was, of course looking forward to a bit of oud and qanun and microtonal singing. BUT ... it was Ramadan, and there were no public music events! :(

I hope you have more luck!

Cheers,

John

Hello all,

I'm going to Singapore on business on the first of June, and will be staying there for two weeks. I wonder what's there to do, apart from the regular mainstream sightseeing. Any sessions, or irish (music) pubs, or any reed instrument makers/dealers worth mentioning? Any other general music scenes that could be interesting to visit?

Kind regards

I was in Singapore for a few days in march travelling from Vietnam. I didn't go to the local session but there's definitely a weekly session there, you can find the information relatively easily I think on session.org I also think they have a Facebook page. I have a friend who plays the flute and pipes there and he told me about that session. I had quite a shock when I was in an irish pub and the bill for my pint of cider came: SGD$15, which is around USD$12... ouch!

I'll be sure to ask around for venues with local music, would be very interesting (and probably challenging for my guides, as my co-workers who've been there haven't asked for such things).

On the "chiff and fipple" forum, I was adviced to go to a pub called the Molly Malone's Irish pub. I contacted a guy running their bi-weekly session, and I'm in luck - there will be a session when I'm there. Now I have a (-nother) reason to pack my concertina. Time to start reading up on the various threads about carrying a concertina on flight.

Regards

Now I have a (-nother) reason to pack my concertina. Time to start reading up on the various threads about carrying a concertina on flight.

First principle of "carrying a concertina on flight":
carry
it
!

I.e., don't ever put it into checked baggage.

You'll find that advice repeated repeatedly as you look through previous threads.

I can still picture the tin (not just a cardboard box) of candy that I had packed deep within my clothing: About A4 size in area and about 5-6 cm high when I packed it, when I got home and opened the bag, I found that it had been crushed to half its original height (also crushing its contents). When and how that was done, I'll never know, but it's one of several reasons why I don't ever let the concertina out of my sight.

Going to an Irish session in Singapore would be like going to Macdonald's in Paris...familiar, but not really nourishing. If you can't appreciate where you travel, you might as well stay at home. :P

I'll try to make a short reply to this... Two weeks is enough time for me to experience a fair deal of local culture (and I'm enjoying it so far). I would have brought my concertina and play on my own at the hotel anyhow, but it's more fun with other people.

(I have to admit though, I have eaten at MacDonald's once already. Many more late nights, and I might sin again.)

Oh, and Jim, I read your advice after leaving, and packed it in my suitcase. It's a very hard case, and I wrapped all my cloths around it, and luckily enough it got here safely. It actually plays alot better here in Singapore than home in Sweden - I guess the humidity is too low back home.

I'll make sure to carry it on the plane when flying back, to keep it safe.