Jinky Wells

Cornerstone

I was at a session this week when some of the musicians played Jinky Wells' Harvest Home. Having been brought up reading the dots, I have tried since to locate the music, but all I can find is the Irish Harvest Home, a different tune altogether. Any suggestions, please?

I was at a session this week when some of the musicians played Jinky Wells' Harvest Home. Having been brought up reading the dots, I have tried since to locate the music, but all I can find is the Irish Harvest Home, a different tune altogether. Any suggestions, please?

Hmm .... that would be me playing I guess

I play by ear as you know and can't do the dots at all but the following abc was dotted out by a friend and based on how I remember the tune from the playing of Jim Harding, about 30 odd years ago.

Don't know where Jim's original source material came from, and sadly he died a few years back, so I can't ask him now.

Hope you can make sense of it .... it is a cracking tune

X:1

T:Jinky Wells 'Harvest Home'

N:As remembered from the playing of Jim Harding in about 1980.

N:Where Jim got this tune I know not, but he always referred to it as Jinky Wells' Harvest Home

Q:1/4=160

I:abc2nwc

M:4/4

L:1/8

K:G

|G2BB A2GG|F2G2A2AA|A2c2B2A2|GFGA B3A|

G2B2d2gg|g2d2e2ge|d2B2c2AA|G2B2G4:|

B B2d2g3|g g2d2e3-|e e3f g2a2| (3fgf d2d4|

Bc d2g4|g2f2e2e4|A3B c2d2| (3(cdc) B2B4|

G2BB B2dd|d2c2A4|F2AA c2ee|e2d2B4|

G2BB d2gg|g2d2e2ge|d2B2c2A2|G2B2G4|]

Dave P

The third measure in the third line has 4 1/2 beats, and the second measure in the fourth line has 5 beats. I suspect that's not quite right.

Like I said - Try as I might, I can't do dots at all ... I just play it! :lol:

The only 'measure' I ever knew was 'a pint' ...... and even that is denied me now :(

Can anyone who knows the tune offer corrections please ???

Dave

The third measure in the third line has 4 1/2 beats, and the second measure in the fourth line has 5 beats. I suspect that's not quite right.

Without knowing the tune... this sounds sensible - I assume it's playeed at a nice brisk clip

ps is it a hornpipe like the standard Harvest Home.(ie played with swing)?

X:1

T:Jinky Wells 'Harvest Home'

N:As remembered from the playing of Jim Harding in about 1980.

N:Where Jim got this tune I know not, but he always referred to it as Jinky Wells' Harvest Home

Q:1/4=160

I:abc2nwc

M:4/4

L:1/8

K:G

|G2BB A2GG|F2G2A2AA|A2c2B2A2|GFGA B3A|

G2B2d2gg|g2d2e2ge|d2B2c2AA|1G2B2G4:|2G2B2G3B|

B2d2g3g | g2d2e3-e | e3f g2a2| (3fgf d2d4|

Bc d2g4|g2f2e2e2|A3B c2d2| (3(cdc) B2B4|

G2BB B2dd|d2c2A4|F2AA c2ee|e2d2B4|

G2BB d2gg|g2d2e2ge|d2B2c2A2|G2B2G4|]

I was at a session this week when some of the musicians played Jinky Wells' Harvest Home.

Hmm .... that would be me playing I guess

... I remember the tune from the playing of Jim Harding, about 30 odd years ago.

Don't know where Jim's original source material came from....

It feels to me as if it could be the melody for a song.

For the combination of "Harvest Home" and "lyrics", Google gives me "About 142,000 results". So I did the same search restricted to the mudcat.org site, and even that gave 639 results. I checked a few, but none fit the tune. I don't really have time to check them all, especially since song tunes often outlive the songs themselves.

But I do wonder.

Thanks, Dave. I didn't ask you for the dots because I know you don't use them. This is great, and I'll have a go at it before the Fete de la Musique in Epworth. It would be a good chance to give it a go.

Like I said - Try as I might, I can't do dots at all ... I just play it! :lol:

The only 'measure' I ever knew was 'a pint' ...... and even that is denied me now :(

Can anyone who knows the tune offer corrections please ???

Dave

Are these the notes you play? I know the instrument and maybe speed aren't correct.

Measures are bars on the European side of the pond. Could be confusing in pubs :lol:Jinky Wells 'Harvest Home'.mp3

Edited by MichaelF