Jim Hume, English player? c.1920s?

I've recently got a 78rpm with what sounds to be an English concertina with piano accompaniment, probably mid 1920s (its on Zonophone, which became Regal-Zonophone in 1931). Its by Mr J Hume, and in the early 1950s Jim Hume is described as being one of the noted players in past times. Anybody have any info? Its in very poor condition, so will take a lot of restoration before I can put it up on my site ( I've also got two very battered Ernest Rutterford 78rpms in the pipeline, Dirge!!)

I've recently got a 78rpm with what sounds to be an English concertina with piano accompaniment, probably mid 1920s (its on Zonophone, which became Regal-Zonophone in 1931). Its by Mr J Hume, and in the early 1950s Jim Hume is described as being one of the noted players in past times. Anybody have any info? Its in very poor condition, so will take a lot of restoration before I can put it up on my site ( I've also got two very battered Ernest Rutterford 78rpms in the pipeline, Dirge!!)

For Jim Hume see concertina.com/eydmann/life-and-times Chaptger 7, page 113, reference number 511.

Les Branchett

Thanks Les,

I've not got Hume's 'Church Bells' recording, but Destiny Waltz and Sons of the Brave. The matrix numbers aren't too far away (serial 1910 matrix X- 2-49116 and 49117, 'Bells' is serial 1754 X- 2-49109), so probably from the same session.

James Hume is featured on English International playing "Spring Song" this track was kindly donated by Stephen Chambers from his collection MX-Y20414 Zonophone Twin 1864 and recorded in 1918.

Another of the rare and unusual tracks from this almost history of the English Concertina on 3 CDs.

Al