I LOVE my concertina! but am struggling to learn..

I have a 20 button anglo concertina which i bought from Cambrige Folk fest some years ago.

I absolutely love it!!! But ive searched for someone nearby who may be able to give teach me something, but to no avail!

Im constantly looking on youtube at people playing beautiful songs....but where do i start? I dont read music, but my partner does - so theres always an option of learning.

Where to start and what to practice?? Can anyone help, I d be most grateful, xx

Hi Emmz,

knowing where you are might help :P but I am also learning from books and just playing for fun. Learning to read music isn't too difficult. Honest. And it opens up a world of tunes. Presumably you play by ear?

Hi Malcom,

Im in Hastings, East Sussex.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I play guitar by ear and anything else i can pick up by ear. Nice to "meet" you :)

Hi There.

As you are in Hastings, you could help yourself by contacting Valmai Goodyear. Not sure of an address, but runs all sorts of gigs/workshops in the Lewes area. and a thouroughly decent lady to boot!!! Just Google Lewes Folk clubs, and I'm sure you would find her. (think the pub they meet in is called the "Elephant" (could be wrong about that)

Good luck anyway, and welcome to the madness that is concertina playing.

Kind regards Ralphie

Edited by Ralph Jordan

Very good advice to contact the Lewes people. You've fallen on your feet there. Also a very good move joining this forum. You'll find people here both friendly and helpful, especially to beginners.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris

15.gif

Ah! Lewes Folk club...yes, Ive heard a lot about them, but im a little bit scared of contacting them!!! Oh, that sounds so silly, but I think its my inexperience which makes me anxious. *breathe* i have to do it though, I know!

Thanks all :) Ill give it a go :)

Ive also contacted a localish band who send me updates of their gigs. I think there are one or two concertina players in their and I hope to get to one of their gigs soon - just to watch.

I went to Gosport and Fareham Folk Fest a few times too and sat and watched in awe, as people played their concertinas...i love them!!

Im still confused as to which style i like. Confused because I can hear what I like, but Im not sure what its "proper" name is - irish, english, erm...dutch?!

Thanks for welcoming me xxx

Im still confused as to which style i like. Confused because I can hear what I like, but Im not sure what its "proper" name is - irish, english, erm...dutch?!

Instead of trying to
name
it, why not
describe
it?

• Is it mostly plain melody without chords?
  • Is it melody played against a regular, repeating pattern of chords?
  • Or melody and harmonies (or "chords") moving more or less together?
  • What about melody played in octaves?

Describe what you like, and some of us will surely try to put a name to the style. More importantly, we may be able to point you to appropriate videos or even nearby players and teachers.

And don't let your inexperience keep you away from those you feel are "better". They were all beginners once, and most would be glad to help you get started. You won't be punished for not being an "instant genius". But you'll get nowhere if your attitude is that you want to learn to play, but only after you can show people that you've already learned to play.

I went to Gosport and Fareham Folk Fest a few times too and sat and watched in awe, as people played their concertinas...I love them!!

If you went to Gosport and Fareham, you very likely will have seen the Spare Parts Concertina Band. This includes Valmai Goodyear and Bryan Creer from Lewes.The 3rd member is Suzanne Higgins.

check these websites: http://www.sparepartsband.co.uk

http://www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org

regards

John Wild

Dear Emmz,

Welcome to C.net. You will get generous advice from everyone here. The folks in Lewis are very friendly too. By all means attend their events and get more help with your concertina adventure. I’ll be presenting there on October 29 and though I’m not gearing that workshop for beginners I do like to work with folks who are just starting out. If you are interested in lessons I offer them on Skype to anyone in the world. Find out more here http://jodykruskal.com/concertina_lessons.html

Emmz - good advice from all. For goodness sake don't be scared of contacting the nice people at Lewes. Valmai and Brian are both very very friendly. Have a look at the webpage for Concertinas Anonymous here http://www.lewessatu...C/concanon.html . If you read what their aims are you will see that they offer friendship and support, no matter what your level of experience .... and their next meeting is on 10th May - in two days time. Why not give Brian a ring and get along there ?

Edit: Sorry Lester - I've just realised that you'd already put that link in under an assumed name!! LOL

And if you're going for lessons .... definitely check Jody's suggestions out! (I'm hoping to pop down to Lewes to hear him in action again when the time comes around) :)

Good luck!

Edited by Irene S

Have a look at the webpage for Concertinas Anonymous here http://www.lewessatu...C/concanon.html . If you read what their aims are you will see that they offer friendship and support, no matter what your level of experience

Anyone know of a beginners' group near Bristol or east Dorset areas? Learning or just getting together?

(I know about WCCP but they are mostly way above my level)

Hmm. A beginners group in bristol would be interesting. I go to a friendly session (mostly populated by people from my morris side) but I'm not convinced it is a beginners group. How many other people would be interested in coming to a beginners session in bristol?

If you start such a session, keep me informed. I run two English music sessions in Bath and Bradford on Avon and although they are both welcoming of beginners I can see the Bath one in particular might seem a bit, well, advanced to some beginners. If a beginners (or slow or starter or whatever) session started in Bristol I'd be happy to direct people your way, both in person and through our website, www.EnglishMusicPlayedHere.org.uk.

Cheers,

Chris

It's a small world - I was recommended to Chris' sessions, and have attended the Bath one (sans box). But Bath and BoA are far enough from Bristol, especially the west side of Bristol, that it's a bit of a pain getting there at a reasonable time.

FWIW I work in Bristol during the week, but find I tend not to practice as much as I should so a beginners' session in Bristol (or Clevedon/Weston) would suit me very well.

I would suggest, if there is more interest, that a separate thread is started to avoid further hijacking this one...

Malcolm