Croissants et Cafe`

Alan Day

Here is a new French Waltz of mine

I tried to post it two times through, but sadly it was too large a file.

A lovely tune to play. I composed the B part watching Manchester United last night on TV and sat there on the table watching football and playing the concertina like a little gnome.

Al B)

Here is a new French Waltz of mine

I tried to post it two times through, but sadly it was too large a file.

A lovely tune to play. I composed the B part watching Manchester United last night on TV and sat there on the table watching football and playing the concertina like a little gnome.

Al B)

Could be more of a relaxing end of the working day, early evening kir royale et une tranche de jambon fumé au bistro local :)

Here is take two of this French Waltz.

I love this modified version (even if I am the only one)

I think it is far enough away from Ralphie's to be similar but not the same.

A dream to play.

Al :)

Chris Drinkwater has pointed out that the B part is almost the same as a track on Raphie's CD so I will modify it and repost it ASAP, sorry about that Raphie.

Al :(

You should be apologising to Wim Poesen, Al, not Ralphie. :ph34r: He was the original composer of the tune, Wals voor Polle, the B part of which sounds very similar to the original B part of your tune. Ralphie only heard it, learnt it, played it and recorded it! Anyway, your amended version is sufficiently different now and the whole tune is nice. :)

Chris

Here is take two of this French Waltz.

I love this modified version (even if I am the only one)

I think it is far enough away from Ralphie's to be similar but not the same.

A dream to play.

Al :)

Yes, part two now has more early breakfast on the terrace sunlight in it.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice tune, Al, though I have to say that as soon as I heard the very first line I was reaching for my pipe and trilby... Do you remember the "Maigret" theme from the old b&w TV series starring Rupert Davies? The first line of that is very similar to yours, though the two tunes are quite different from then on.

Anyway, you can buy me a cognac and a packet of Disque Bleu when we next meet up. ;)

(I'll get me beret...)

Edited by Will Fly

Many thanks for the nice comments a longer version is now on You Tube

Al

well, sounds like something only a lifelong dancer can come up with... the "hiccups" are very fascinating, is that something particular to french waltzes?

Thanks for the piece, I'll see if I can dot it out when time permits...

No indigestion

Al :unsure:

uhm... no, this was no reference whatsoever to body functions... I'm referring to the syncopations - the tune is still waltz time, but in the phrasing, there is a periodic deviation from the ohm-pa-pa that on first listening sounds wrong but evens out in the end. Probably something you as a dancer don't think about anymore, but I wouldn't expect it there. I like it though!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

No indigestion

Al :unsure:

uhm... no, this was no reference whatsoever to body functions... I'm referring to the syncopations - the tune is still waltz time, but in the phrasing, there is a periodic deviation from the ohm-pa-pa that on first listening sounds wrong but evens out in the end. Probably something you as a dancer don't think about anymore, but I wouldn't expect it there. I like it though!

I actually had to dance it to make sure of the timing and initially I had it wrong, this is still a shade fast but French Dancers like spinning at speed.

Al