Spanish Waltz

Aquarussell

Does anyone have the music for the Spanish Waltz? I would like to find it. Or else I'll have to pick it out for myself! A Fate not so much to be feared, I guess, but I have never done that before.

If no one has it, I'll be asking for software for making sheet music next.

Thanks!

Russell Hedges

Does anyone have the music for the Spanish Waltz?  I would like to find it.  Or else I'll have to  pick it out for myself!

That sounds like you have it on a recording. What recording?

Can you tell us any more about it? I would expect a name like that to have several tunes associated with it.

There is a dance called "Spanish Waltz" in the Community Dances Manual, book 1, published by the English Folk Dance and Song Society, but the tune given for it is an old Irish air named "My Lodging Is On the Cold Ground" (I'm used to seeing that elsewhere as "In", not "On"), which is available from many sources.

There is a dance called "Spanish Waltz" in the Community Dances Manual, book 1,...

Hmm. I didn't pay enough attention to your subtitle before.

A "circle quadrille"? Since a quadrille is a square set, that seems a contradiction. On the other hand, the "Spanish Waltz" in the Community Dances Manual is described as a quadrille, yet I believe I've danced it in a big circle formation, so maybe that is it.

But in fact it could be done to just about any waltz tune, so that tells me nothing about what the tune is on your particular recording.

A Spanish Circle is a circle of old style quadrilles, one coupe facing another. A quadrille of four people rather than four couples. The circle formation allows couples to pass the facing couple and face a new couple for each iteration of the dance.

The Spanish Waltz I am thinking of has only two parts. The "A" part is for the quadrille part, and the "B" part is for the pass the other couple part, done as a waltz and could really be any waltz, I suppose. I have a recording of it, but I would like to learn to play it myself.

Stephen Mills sent me a URL for the Spanish Waltz, among other pieces. Now I know another place to look. It is a more complicated version of the "A" part I have on CD.

Thanks for your replies, I am looking into the dance, and I iwll ask about where the recording came from as well.

Russell Hedges

A Spanish Circle is a circle of old style quadrilles, one couple facing another.

Interesting. I'm used to that being called a "Sicilian circle".

It's sort of like a contra line bent into a circle, so that there are no ends where people have to wait out.

Sicilian circles are generally pretty symmetrical, though, as there's no provision for the couples going in opposite directions to exchange roles.