A rather tasty looking 1927 Wheatstone Aeola!

Ptarmigan

Is anyone else watching the progress of this rather tasty looking 1927 Wheatstone Aeola on eBay right now?

Here's the link to a video

Cheers

Dick

Dick

Watching it yes, fancying it yes, sadly not bidding tho.

Steve

PS Mind you winning from UK would probably result in additional very hefty import duties & VAT.

Edited by SteveS

Sold for $6600.

Anyone on this forum lucky enough to win it?

So, about £3,960 then.

Seems like about the going rate.

Although, if someone over here bought it & has to ship it back to the UK, that is of course going to mean a rather hefty chunk will need to be added onto the final overall cost.

Cheers

Dick

Sold for $6600.

So, about £3,960 then.

Although, if someone over here bought it & has to ship it back to the UK, that is of course going to mean a rather hefty chunk will need to be added onto the final overall cost.

Cheers

Dick

Interestingly, it appears as though a well known UK dealer bid $6500 in the last few seconds but was outbid by an automatic higher bid.

He was obviously prepared to pay an estimated additional £1000 import duties and VAT.

Edited by SteveS

Sold for $6600.

So, about £3,960 then.

Interestingly, it appears as though a well known UK dealer bid $6500 in the last few seconds but was outbid by an automatic higher bid.

He was obviously prepared to pay an estimated additional £1000 import duties and VAT.

And the winner was willing to pay at least $6600... possibly much more.

Because of the way eBay works, it's essentially the second-highest bidder that sets the final price, in this case $100 more than the $6500 bid, even if the winner had entered a maximum "bid" of $10,000 into the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold for $6600.

yes, i won it :-)

So, about £3,960 then.

Cheers

Dick

Sold for $6600.

cost me a nights sleep

So, about £3,960 then.

Cheers

Dick

Congratulations!

I like the fact that some interesting provenance comes with the instrument.

Congratulations!

I like the fact that some interesting provenance comes with the instrument.

yes how i read it was the owner seen a concert with and English concertina player ordered the best Wheatstone he could get with a beginners tutor book. it hardly looks played so guess he did not take to it.

yes, i won it :)

cost me a nights sleep

Congratulations, it looks to be a very beautiful instrument.

What better way to lose a night's sleep? :)

lol it was a long night and after i won it i was to thrilled to go to sleep, good job it was the bank holiday. if it plays as good as it looks i will be chuffed

• 3 weeks later...

Sold for $6600.

So, about £3,960 then.

Cheers

Dick

I have imported eBay concertinas from Australia and USA and in both cases quoted UK customs commodity code is 9705000090 in the shipping papers which simply involved paying 5% VAT as a collector's item. Indeed I don't in fact recall paying anything at all but of course they may have tightened up. I bid on this concertina but chickened out pretty early. Delighted to hear it is coming back to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...