Handbag theft variant on box nicking in car park

Kautilya

Handbag theft variant on box nicking in car park- Good Friday 2011

This from Citroen Car Club forum - could have been a box.

Now a warning which I received last week and something to be aware of. The (nearly a) victim writes:

This incident happened to me on Good Friday in Tesco's car park in Bordon. I was on my own and had finished shopping and placed my shopping bag in the boot. I was just about to shut the driver's door and drive away when I was approached by a man, with a strong mid European accent, who asked me for directions to Birmingham. He said he didn't have 'sat nav' in his car but had this map of the UK. He unfolded the map which was very large, so I had to get out of the car to show him the way. I said I could give him verbal instructions which would be quite easy to follow. But he said (several times over) 'You show me on the map' which he proceeded to spread out to cover the driver's door window. I became a bit suspicious and thought I should lock the car. When I opened the door to get my keys, there was his accomplice, with the passenger door open, taking my purse out of my handbag. I shouted at him which made him drop the purse and take to his heels. I tried to follow him (after locking the car) but he ran up the A325 and the disappeared. I don't know what happened to the one with the map. When I reached home, feeling very shaken, I rang the police to report the incident and they said they would put 'boots on the ground' to see if they could see anyone following my description of them. About 9.00 pm that night, the police rang to say that the same thing had happened to three other people that day in Liphook, Alton and Winchester. A policeman came last night to take my full statement and said a similar incident had happened in February. Unfortunately, everyone that had experienced the same event had lost their belongings. So, I am sending this message in the hope that it will put everyone on their guard if approached and asked to help with directions to other places. Trying to be helpful isn't always the right thing to do!

Stay safe out there.

Darrin [West London Branch CitroenCarClub]

Edited by Kautilya

A sad reflection of some rotten elements of society.

I agree tho it could easily have been a 'tina.

Good idea to check your insurance, and that it covers fully theft from cars of valuable and irreplaceable instruments.

And of course to remember to take precautions when leaving instruments in the car - even for a short time.

Edited by SteveS

And of course to remember to take precautions when leaving instruments in the car - even for a short time.

After my civil war era fiddle was stolen from my locked car (gone in five minutes), I asked my fiddle teacher what precautions to take in future. His shocked response: "Don't EVER leave any instrument in your car! Don't leave it backstage at a gig. Don't ever leave it unattended anywhere outside of your home! I even take my violin along with me to the restroom at the symphony hall. If your instrument is small enough for a thief to walk away with, then it's small enough for you to carry with you so it's safe." The authorities almost never recover stolen items, and with a great antique concertina you'll wait years to happen on a similar instrument for sale. Still kicking myself when I think of that fiddle. You can't be too careful!

It's not always possible to take instruments with you, especially when you have more than one, and sometimes a locked car is the least unsafe option. If I expect to have to leave them unattended I use a Pacsafe:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=11

This is a wire mesh net which pulls tight around a bag and which can be padlocked to a secure object - I use the car seat anchors. They're designed for rucksacks and soft bags and can be a bit awkward to fit around a hard case, but I can get two 'tinas (in a hard case) and a melodeon (in a soft one) inside it. They won't stop a determined and equipped thief but should deter the opportunist.

But where possilble I keep the instruments with me and watch them like a hawk. When I'm loading and unloading the car at gigs I lock it between trips even if it is in an apparently safe location.