Software to slow down a tune

Sue W

Hi,

I seem to remember a post recently which mentioned some free software that will slow down a recorded tune. Sounded like a really useful tool but now I can't find the post! Could someone tell me how to find this software, please.

Thanks

Sue

Hi,

I seem to remember a post recently which mentioned some free software that will slow down a recorded tune. Sounded like a really useful tool but now I can't find the post! Could someone tell me how to find this software, please.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue,

You mean this post?

Yes, that looks like the one. Thanks

Sue

Another great piece of software that can slow down both audio and video files without changing pitch is "Transcribe" by Seventh String Software:

http://www.seventhstring.com

It isn't free at $50.00, but they do have a 30-day trial. I've been using it since version 1.0 on the Mac, great program. There are Mac, Windows, and Linux versions available.

I've found it very useful over the years for learning tunes and analyzing playing techniques on videos.

Here's a couple of demo videos I put together showing the program in action:

Using "Transcribe!" to Learn Tunes:

Slowing Down Videos with "Transcribe!":

Again, I have no association with Seventh String other than being a very satisfied user of their software and happy to spread the word.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

If you own an I-Pod touch or an I-Pad, there is an app available from the "App store" called Music trainer". It will allow you to instantly "import/download" any tune you have in your I-tunes library into this app. You can then slow it down, change pitch, etc. I like it because i can pull up the app on a whim, like when I'm thinking of a tune and import it on the spot. I have never used other "slow downer" programs so don't know how this compares, but it works just fine for me and my wife. -- Steven

And I know it's not free, but I've used the Amazing Slow Downer to transcribe and learn several hundred tunes, so it has more than paid for itself many times over. The ability to slow down as much as 300% will help you crack the fastest tune out there, and the ability to change keys, loop, EQ, etc. are invaluable. I cannot recommend it too highly! As I recall its website is: www.ronimusic.com.

And I know it's not free, but I've used the Amazing Slow Downer to transcribe and learn several hundred tunes, so it has more than paid for itself many times over. The ability to slow down as much as 300% will help you crack the fastest tune out there, and the ability to change keys, loop, EQ, etc. are invaluable. I cannot recommend it too highly! As I recall its website is: www.ronimusic.com.

My solution as well. I don't remember the price, but it wasn't much.

• 1 month later...

Someone here recommended "Speed Shifter" free download.

Even I can work it.I like the little dial like an old phone that you can slow or speed up the tune.

You just drag an MP3 onto the dial to load it.

Al

It's useless if you are a Linux user.

Which one?

Amazing Slow Downer?

Transcribe?

Speedshifter?

More than one of the above?

Speedshifter. I tried installing it with Wine. It wouldn't install.

I've not tried the others.

Geoff

Before someone says "It's a Windows Program", Wine lets you install and run Windows programs in Linux. Some work very well, some work with tweaking and others don't work at all. Speedshifter is in the last category.

Edited by Tootler