Accompanying Tunes and Songs

Kurt Braun

Attached is a handout used in a workshop in March on Accompanying Tunes and Songs. I had two purposes. First to share my own experiences. Second to see if what I had learned might be useful to others (including Anglo and English Players).

It was a small workshop (maybe 6 other players). I polled them and got the impression that what I was trying to share was useful for duet players, less useful for Anglo players and much less useful for English. In the workshop, I was able to talk more freely and to give examples, so I know that this forum might not be as useful. Nevertheless, I would be interested in the views of others on this topic and also get the views of a wider audience. There have been other discussion relative to accompanying on various types of concertinas and this might be helpful in sorting things out there as well.

Thanks,

Kurt

Accompanying Tunes and Songs.pdf

Attached is a handout used in a workshop in March on Accompanying Tunes and Songs. I had two purposes. First to share my own experiences. Second to see if what I had learned might be useful to others (including Anglo and English Players).

It was a small workshop (maybe 6 other players). I polled them and got the impression that what I was trying to share was useful for duet players, less useful for Anglo players and much less useful for English. In the workshop, I was able to talk more freely and to give examples, so I know that this forum might not be as useful. Nevertheless, I would be interested in the views of others on this topic and also get the views of a wider audience. There have been other discussion relative to accompanying on various types of concertinas and this might be helpful in sorting things out there as well.

Thanks,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

This is the right stuff IMO and offers an overview of some great options for accompaniment. I especially liked "If you are quiet enough, you can do most anything."

Thanks that was helpful to an anglo player. What kind of duet do you play (make and system?)

I play a Crabb Crane. Lot's of info on the instrument here: Scraggy.net

It is very helpful to me to know that this is of use to other players of other systems.

Thanks much,

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Braun