Yet another beautiful MacCann Duet

conzertino

At our recent German Concertina-Meeting a man appeared and left this huge baby with me to sell on his behalf. His father bought the instrument new in a German music-store and never got around to playing it...

It is a late ( 36715 / 9.3.1962 ) 6D MacCann Aeola. It is in "as new" condition, so is the box.

Unfortunately ( or fortunately, who knows ) I never managed to play MacCann, so I can not tell you a lot about its playability.

Comparing it with my older ESs I would suggest, that it would need to be played in, as it still feels and sounds "new"!?!

The owner is looking for 2.800 Euro, but as time goes by he might be open to negotiation...

I'm off to the SSI in Sweden over Easter....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

The ledger describes it as 'uniform' in it's usual bald style. I wonder what that implies. Could it be a Chidley layout rather than a normal Maccan?

I though I could tell, but I have changed my mind. I think I am failing the test of being able to rotate thing in my head.

ocd

Edited by ocd

The ledger describes it as 'uniform' in it's usual bald style. I wonder what that implies. Could it be a Chidley layout rather than a normal Maccann?

Yes, Chidley system is what the ledgers mean by "uniform" Dirge, as were most of the Wheatstone duets made in the 1950s/'60s.

#

Aha! Thanks Stephen. I didn't realise they switched over to it so completely.

How about 2.500 Euro ( 2.250 Sterling )?!? Do I hear any offers??

Drool.... :)

Just as well I don't play MacCann - it certainly is a beauty.

Edited by SteveS

Hi there!

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain the difference between the Chidley layout and the MacCann system to me?

I couldn't find a comparative layout... Especially for a 80 keys instrument.

Isn't such an instrument very heavy?

Thanks in advance for your patience! ;) :rolleyes:

Robin

Hi there!

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain the difference between the Chidley layout and the MacCann system to me?

I couldn't find a comparative layout... Especially for a 80 keys instrument.

Thanks in advance for your patience! ;) :rolleyes:

Robin

Here you go this should do it

As to very heavy, no, it'll weigh about what a concertina with 160 reeds ought to weigh. Given its potential it weighs nothing.

...no, it'll weigh about what a concertina with 160 reeds ought to weigh. Given its potential it weighs nothing.

As Einstein supposedly said, all things are relative.

As elephants go, a baby elephant is very light, but it would still be more than I could lift.

My own 80-button Maccann weighs 3220 g. That's about 1½ ounces more than 7 pounds. The one for sale has metal ends, so is probably a little heavier.

Many people would consider that "heavy", at least if they intended to hold it in the air while playing. But I've seen very few duet players try to do that even with a medium-sized instrument. If you play it while seated, supporting the weight on your leg(s), the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Rather than weight, the most likely problems with such a big duet are 1) difficulty in reaching all the buttons, especially for someone with small hands, and 2) difficulty in executing rapid, strong dynamic changes, because of the greater bellows volume and greater mass/inertia of the ends in comparison to a smaller instrument.

Aluminum or brass reed shoes will be a factor in the weight of the instrument.

I suppose I should have mentioned that.

Mine has aluminum reed shoes, and given its vintage (vintyouth?), I would expect the same of this one for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived from Germany this evening: a metal-ended Chidley-Maccann (80 buttons = 79 notes + air); 37 notes on the left hand (going down to the second C below middle C); 42 notes on the right (G below middle-C to the third C above middle-C); 7 lbs. and 10 3/4" from side-to-side; beautiful sweet sound, despite the metal ends. I have been looking for this instrument for a long time. (See my new avatar.)

I will have to make new straps as the original ones were cut short and are too small for my, admittedly huge, hands.

Thanks to conzertino for a perfect transaction.

ocd