Can you play melody and chords on an English ?

Well I just purchased a Concertina Connection Rochelle on E Bay! the seller says it is the new upgraded model

and that the concertina is one month old and in perfect condition . See link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120712792662

Rod and OCD: as you can see, I dither no longer !

This has been an interesting journey: I started with the option of an English in mind, perhaps a Duet, and I am ending up with an Anglo ! I will get the concertina in one week. I'll let you know how I feel with it. In the meantime.. back to my small 26 keys/48 bass piano accordion.

Edited by gerardo1000

Speaking about the you tube video that you both suggest, yes there are chords but in my humble opinion this is not really a separate accompaniment, it is more an embellishment and an enrichment of some parts of the melodies with the use of chords.

Just wondering if the arrangement in the link below satisfies the requirements of being a separate accompaniment?

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/arranging.htm

Or is accompaniment = oom-pah?

ocd

a 30-button Anglo is great for melody + accompaniment playing within its limitations, but if you really want to play self-accompanied classical or jazz (as you mentioned at one point) you would be better off with a duet or even an English.

I started on Anglo, and I agree with this. I switched to duet because of the many compromises you have to make when playing say a ragtime or klezmer piece on the anglo. Even with fairly simple tunes in easy keys, some just don't "click" with the layout of the anglo. You can either do a very sparse arrangement, or maybe you could find a 40+ button instrument and practice a lot.

My

on YouTube is as complex as I got before switching, I wouldn't want to go further down that road on the Anglo, it was too idiosyncratic for me. The tune actually lays quite well on the Anglo, but it's not easy to play, and I wanted to go even further down that road.

Here are some other recordings I posted, played on the 46-button Hayden duet, fairly simple stuff, but much of it would be hard if not impossible to do on an Anglo or English. Although an intelligent reworking for those instruments might sound better than my arrangements...

Just wondering if the arrangement in the link below satisfies the requirements of being a separate accompaniment?

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/arranging.htm

Very nice, it qualifies to me. You could obviously make an arrangement for duet that would be even more complex, but that very well might not sound as nice as that elegant arrangement for the English.

I also like your Youtube offerings and was tempted to go the Hayden route because of hearing them.

Thank you very much, sir.

But everybody says that the Elise Hayden is too limited with 30 buttons, and I do not have the money, at least in my early search for the ideal concertina, to invest in a vintage Duet.

Then make the best of your Rochelle once it arrives. Just don't try to start out with classical music or jazz. You may recall that I recommended a 35-button Crane as an alternative starting path in one of your earlier threads, but perhaps it was out of your price range.

• 10 years later...
On 4/23/2011 at 11:55 AM, Dirge said:

You buy a Maccan for the walk to the horizon. A Hayden or Crane will get you safely past the kerb...

For anyone looking at buying a Duet and deciding which system to choose I would suggest entirely disregarding that (heavily biased) statement.  It's something you'll hear a lot from Maccan players. But it's nonsense.    The reality is that Crane and Hayden systems are not only perfectly capable of getting you to the exact same horizon but can sometimes do so more quickly due to being more logical in their layout when learning.   A better rephrasing of the analogy would be that a Maccan is for the walk to the horizon and Crane or Haden is for the drive their.   Here is an example of a Crane Duet being played by Jean Megly with the curb left far behind and the horizon in sight (Hayden can do this kind of stuff as well)...

https://concertina.org/archive/sound_archive/CandS/SonOfReadersTape/SonOfReadersATrack07.mp3

• Like 1

On 4/23/2011 at 11:55 AM, Dirge said:

You buy a Maccan for the walk to the horizon. A Hayden or Crane will get you safely past the kerb...

For anyone looking at buying a Duet and deciding which system to choose I would suggest entirely disregarding that (heavily biased) statement.  It's something you'll hear a lot from Maccan players. But it's nonsense.    The reality is that Crane and Hayden systems are not only perfectly capable of getting you to the exact same horizon but can sometimes do so more quickly due to being more logical in their layout when learning.   A better rephrasing of the analogy would be that a Maccan is for the walk to the horizon and Crane or Haden is for the drive their.   Here is an example of a Crane Duet being played by Jean Megly with the curb left far behind and the horizon in sight (Hayden can do this kind of stuff as well)...

https://concertina.org/archive/sound_archive/CandS/SonOfReadersTape/SonOfReadersATrack07.mp3

Edited by springer52
apologise for the duplicate posting
  • Like 1