Rhomylly Forbes

I just found out through facebook that Rhomylly passed away last night as a result of chemo complications.

I thought people here would want to know. She was a great contributor to this community.

Oh my! I am sorry to hear this. Everyday is a gift and a chance to celebrate ourselves and those around us. I did not know Rhomylly well but I always had the feeling she knew how to celebrate. She will be missed.

Greg

That is a shock; she will be truly missed by the concertina community at Old Pal, where she was a regular until she moved from New Mexico to parts north. Here is a picture of her at the 2007 gathering (Rhomylly is seated behind the concertinas).

By the way, Rhomylly wrote a fun and fanciful piece on the concertina and pirates in a magazine called Pirates a few years back.

Dan

post-976-0-29286500-1302551844_thumb.jpg

...she did make some passing mention of chemo when excusing herself from the Palestine get together here on c.net. I had just started "penpaling" around with her and had not gotten a recent reply. I was worrying....and I guess rightly so. Even if you are not a prayin' person--its a good time to say private farewells to a fellow concertina aficionado. our lose in a small world. Michelle

She and I corresponded just a few days ago; she saw my signature and thought I still lived in the state of Indiana (I just now visit there from time to time). I wrote back and suggested some concertina folks where she lived, but I don't imagine she had time to meet up with them.

Sorry to hear the news.

Ken

This is very sad. I was looking forward to seeing her again at Palestine. One of the more interesting gigs she spoke of doing was playing concertina at book store celebrations for new Harry Potter releases.

Edited by Jim Bayliss

I never met Rhomylly personally, but we had some friendly exchanges both here on concertina.net and in private emails. I had hoped that eventually that personal meeting would take place, and it's sad that now it won't, at least not in this life.

But let's not dwell on what we've lost; instead, let's toast the contributions she made, those things which will keep her alive in our memories.

I'm sure that rather than sigh and cry, she would prefer that we sang songs, played tunes, and danced in her memory. ... That's what I'm going to do.

I didn't know Rhomylly at all but I would always look out for her posts. She always came across as a very warm, caring, kind hearted person. I'll miss her and will play some tunes in her memory.

Nigel

• 4 years later...

I just noticed that Rhomylly's name has appeared among today's birthdays. She would have been 53, but she's been gone almost five years now.

It also prompts me to remember some of the others we've lost along the way. Let's remember their contributions and continue their good work. And not just today, but every day.

I just noticed that Rhomylly's name has appeared among today's birthdays. She would have been 53, but she's been gone almost five years now.

It also prompts me to remember some of the others we've lost along the way. Let's remember their contributions and continue their good work. And not just today, but every day.

Among many others who once were part of our online community: Big Nick Robertshaw, the powerhouse Jeffries duet player, and my old bandmate and Northeast Squeeze In roommate Michael Reid, who joined my band playing English concertina, then decided he wanted to do Irish music only and took up Anglo, with great success.

I remember Rhomylly. She wrote a book on the Abbott's Bromley Horn Dance.

Nick and I overlapped for about a year on the Foggy Bottom Morris Men, and I learned more in that year than I did in my previous 10 as Morris musician.

Here's a little snippet of Nick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRbR_LUxSs

Edited by Jim Besser