How do you learn a tune?

... after you have the tune in your fingers, the next step is to play it with a real live person. This is better than a big session and more fun I think. Keeps it real.

Great idea, Jody.

OK, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here. All these slowdown devices are great and I use 'em too, but after you have the tune in your fingers, the next step is to play it with a real live person. This is better than a big session and more fun I think. Keeps it real.

So I suggest finding someone who is close to your level of play and invite them over for an evening of tunes. Three is even better than two but I've found that the best sessions are often private and small, 4 or 5 max. Bring your recorder and learn each others tunes for next time. Build your community and cultivate your local music. Don't look for other concertina players but rather like minded folks on any instrument handy.

I think that most music and tune playing in particular is much more fun and satisfying with a small group than alone. Also the motivation factor is stronger when you want to learn that new tune to show or join your friends next Thursday.

Thanks Jody,that is so true.The ceilidgh band i'm trying to fit in with is a real one.various instruments last night we had a euphonium player.only problem is sometimes they are a bit fast for me yet and they have to keep the tempo because they are practicing for real gigs.

Edited by BobDoubles

The ceilidgh band i'm trying to fit in with is a real one.various instruments last night we had a euphonium player.only problem is sometimes they are a bit fast for me yet and they have to keep the tempo because they are practicing for real gigs.

Well, that sounds like a motivating force that could spur rapid growth. You are lucky to have a group like that to play with. The same happened to me long ago and the first year of gigs was certainly a stretch but I was able to keep up... barely.

Since you want to play in the band, consider joining other band functions beside the melody. Playing with the rhythm or horn section on your box could be very satisfying. In my working bands I'm playing melody 70 to 30 percent of the time and the rest of the time I'm playing other stuff, chords, harmony, rhythmic riffs that add to the whole without duplicating any. I do know the melodies and can play them but choose not to because other stuff often works better in the band setting.

Back to your question on how to learn tunes, on the Anglo, the way I learn a new tune is always...

with the chords first.

If I can't hear the chords/harmony (in my head or on my box) then I am learning impaired. If I can play the chords then the melody falls into place following patterns that have a logic and familiarity to them. The melody is mostly contained in the chords (except when it's not) and this "of the chord" / "against the chord" character of any melody gives it an harmonic shape that is particular to the Anglo.

Know what I mean?