where can I find a concertina?

I live in Israel and own a Jackie EC and was wondering if anyone other than myself plays a concertina (or even knows what it is).

At first I searched in google but nothing to be found exept a short wikipedia, page some people asking what it is (because the word apears in some barely known israely song), and other things that have the name concertina.

I went to the music center in my town and next to the accordion teacher's door there was a poster with people playing an accordion, bandoneon, harmonica, a button accordion, a concertina, and all those stuff. I asked if they teach concertina and they said they'll check and call if they find something. <_<

I don't know anyone who's about concertinas.

So I go to you and ask if you know anything about concertinas that has to do with israel: a teacher, a place that sells them or a person who plays them, or anything else realy please tell me.

all I want is to touch another concertina or learn from someone or have someone to talk to about it.

Even just knowing there's someone else aut there. :wacko:

sorry for the long post.

Hello Ido

It seems in most places concertina players are rare and good teachers are rarer still.That is why a lot of us make use of Concertina.net to share our enthusiasm.

Retail outlets to acquire good concertinas are rare also. So you are not alone in your situation. Many people including myself have found ebay a good source for finding a good concertina. Educating yourself, being patient and cautious will aid you in finding one that you will be happy with.The Button Box in Massachusetts, Greg Jowaisas (both in USA) are reputable sources for good (usually vintage)instruments, as well as Chris Algar (in England). It is not uncommon for folks to make international purchases in the pursuit of a concertina, and the internet makes that relatively easy.

Focusing on finding people who are into the kind of music you want to play on your concertina may lead you towards contact with another concertina player or others who would welcome a concertina player into their social swirl.

Welcome and good luck,

Richard

hello anybody :unsure: ?

Ooh! Bumping your own thread after less than 3 hours? Is it impatience, or just enthusiasm? ;)

Well, I was pretty sure Israel had been mentioned before, so I did a quick Search of the Forums for the word "Israel" and came up with the following:

• In this post from 2005, Stephen Mills mentions "the 2 players I know of in Israel".
  • And in this post (where the quoting enclosures are incorrect, but the boldface is Stephen's fresh text) he further clarifies with "speaking to the ICA member in Israel, as I have, I find he can name only one other player in Israel."

Are there more today, or fewer? I don't know. But contacting the ICA (some of whose members are also members here) might be one place to start.

Looking further, in 2007 member nart posted, "I live in Israel...." Unfortunately, his/her profile indicates no activity since July 2010 and no email pass through.

It's not much, but it does suggest that there might be a few more concertina players in Israel, though I wonder how you might discover them. (Look for groups interested in Irish music? Or does Israel have any Morris dancers?) But as richard has suggested, you're probably better off looking elsewhere if you want to buy an instrument.

hello anybody :unsure: ?

Ooh! Bumping your own thread after less than 3 hours? Is it impatience, or just enthusiasm? ;)

Well, I was pretty sure Israel had been mentioned before, so I did a quick Search of the Forums for the word "Israel" and came up with the following:

• In this post from 2005, Stephen Mills mentions "the 2 players I know of in Israel".
  • And in this post (where the quoting enclosures are incorrect, but the boldface is Stephen's fresh text) he further clarifies with "speaking to the ICA member in Israel, as I have, I find he can name only one other player in Israel."

Are there more today, or fewer? I don't know. But contacting the ICA (some of whose members are also members here) might be one place to start.

Looking further, in 2007 member nart posted, "I live in Israel...." Unfortunately, his/her profile indicates no activity since July 2010 and no email pass through.

It's not much, but it does suggest that there might be a few more concertina players in Israel, though I wonder how you might discover them. (Look for groups interested in Irish music? Or does Israel have any Morris dancers?) But as richard has suggested, you're probably better off looking elsewhere if you want to buy an instrument.

Well I waited about 13 hours before but never mind that.

I'm not looking to by a concertina as I mentioned I own one just to mabby find a teacher or see diferent concertinas other than mine.

What is the ICA (I assume it's "Israeli Concertena Association"), how can I reach them?(google doesn't help)

What is the ICA (I assume it's "Israeli Concertena Association"), how can I reach them?(google doesn't help)

It is actually the International Concertina Association. You can look up the website at www.concertina.org

regards

John Wild

Poor Ido,

sounds like concertinas are as rare in Israel as in the mid-west USA. I guess we all need to move to Ireland?? Anyway, you are one foot ahead of me by owning a Jackie. I finally just bought an EC from one of the other members here on c.net and taught myself to play. I think with what is available in the forums here under "tunes" and UTube clips its been OK. I totally sympathize with wanting to "mingle" with like-minded folks; you may find that you'll have to vent here rather than in live-person. I did travel 2 1/2 hours one time to go to an Irish "session" on the south side of Chicago, just to see another live concertina. Found out Irish sessions may not be the best place to show up as an EC beginner!! (I was naive enough to think we were closer than kissing cousins--ha!) But I still love playing my EC! It makes me happy. Hope it can do the same for you. It is almost as satisfying to scratch that concertina discussion itch here, vent your enthusiasm--and then you can UTube your progression for us all to cheer for you! It a good cyber-community here, just for folks like us!. don't get discouraged Michelle SE Wis USA

Poor Ido,

sounds like concertinas are as rare in Israel as in the mid-west USA. I guess we all need to move to Ireland?? Anyway, you are one foot ahead of me by owning a Jackie. I finally just bought an EC from one of the other members here on c.net and taught myself to play. I think with what is available in the forums here under "tunes" and UTube clips its been OK. I totally sympathize with wanting to "mingle" with like-minded folks; you may find that you'll have to vent here rather than in live-person. I did travel 2 1/2 hours one time to go to an Irish "session" on the south side of Chicago, just to see another live concertina. Found out Irish sessions may not be the best place to show up as an EC beginner!! (I was naive enough to think we were closer than kissing cousins--ha!) But I still love playing my EC! It makes me happy. Hope it can do the same for you. It is almost as satisfying to scratch that concertinba discussion itch here, vent your enthusiasm--and then you can UTube your progression for us all to cheer for you! It a good cyber-community here, just for folks like us!. don't get discouraged Michelle SE Wis USA

Hi Ido,

Concertina players are rather sparse in the desert southwest of Arizona as well. However, you're closer to England than I am. I would suggest a Kilve weekend in October with the West Country Concertina Players (WCCP). In addition to making a great group of friends that keep up with you after the fact, there's a lot of stuff to be learned, just in the sessions. and, thney even coaxed me out of my shell as a new duet player. I know that it was well worth my airfare and tuition and I'd recommend the October session for anyone wanting to discover what concertina is all about.

BW, I started on EC.

Kind regards,

Rod Wagoner

Tucson, AZ USA

... I did travel 2 1/2 hours one time to go to an Irish "session" on the south side of Chicago, just to see another live concertina. Found out Irish sessions may not be the best place to show up as an EC beginner!! (I was naive enough to think we were closer than kissing cousins--ha!) ...

I've played my EC in Irish sessions in Peoria, Champaign, Normal, and Madison without getting any dirty looks. It may have helped that I also play fiddle. Still what I usually play is for English Country Dance. I've had to travel to central Pennsylvania (Folk College, sponsored by Simple Gifts) and to the Northeast Squeeze In (1000 miles each way) or to Pinewoods (1200 miles each way) to find another person who plays English concertina.

I'll be at Folklore Village in about a week and a half for the Bare Necessities ECD weekend. That's SW Wisconsin, rather than SE.

I think a lot of us learn in isolation. That's what makes this forum so valuable.

Shelly -- how far are you from Plymouth, WI? There's a VERY friendly Wednesday Irish jam that often features a fellow EC player. I used to drive down from Manitowoc when I still lived in WI.