self tuition

I thought it might be a useful tool to video myself as an aid in learning. I mean...my laptop comes equipped with a tiny camera and it should not be difficult?? Well, after some experimenting this afternoon, I did find the audio quality pretty unsatisfactory. My "equipment" was just the standard equipped "web camera" on my laptop and windows media player, so now I appreciate a little more when "you guys" get involved in pretty technical audio/visual discussions. What would be the next step for better audio? is it more software or hardware driven? (oh I know...its both...but....) The audio I have, sounds so one dimensional--not the reedy, sort of throaty sound that my ear registers as a concertina sound. options for a not-computer-geek??

thanks in advance! Michelle SE Wis USA :huh:

I thought it might be a useful tool to video myself as an aid in learning. I mean...my laptop comes equipped with a tiny camera and it should not be difficult?? Well, after some experimenting this afternoon, I did find the audio quality pretty unsatisfactory. My "equipment" was just the standard equipped "web camera" on my laptop and windows media player, so now I appreciate a little more when "you guys" get involved in pretty technical audio/visual discussions. What would be the next step for better audio? is it more software or hardware driven? (oh I know...its both...but....) The audio I have, sounds so one dimensional--not the reedy, sort of throaty sound that my ear registers as a concertina sound. options for a not-computer-geek??

thanks in advance! Michelle SE Wis USA :huh:

Mark Gilston told me that he does his Youtube videos with his Iphone. They sound okay to me. Pretty simple route for a "not-computer-geek."

Two things to try:

1. Make sure the volume on your microphone isn't turned up too high. You may have to dig around to find the microphone volume settings. This was the main problem I ran into when recording with my webcam.

2. Try a different pair of speakers. If I had to say what kind of speakers were the worst, I would say "laptop speakers."