Any idea what make this one is on EBay?

Long Haired David

I know that but it may be better than the blue and yellow Gremlin that I have where the right hand reeds keep falling off inside and the top notes sound like someone whispering.

David

The combination of very low price and no brand name are not encouraging. The very cheap concertinas tend to suffer from sticking buttons, and poor reed quality.

The seller is in Suffolk, so you might be able to visit and try for yourself?

I know that it is very cheap but I wondered if anyone knew what make it was?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1e627b3f23

David

Looks like what we usually call "cheap Chinese". It's my impression that if you order enough of them they'll mark them with your brand name - I don't think they really have their own brand. You can see several varieties on a Chinese wholesale site here. I have heard that the instruments pictured come from three different factories.

You may find one that works more or less ok, but don't count on it to last at all long. Your odds are much better if you save up your money and buy a Rochelle.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

The combination of very low price and no brand name are not encouraging. The very cheap concertinas tend to suffer from sticking buttons, and poor reed quality.

The seller is in Suffolk, so you might be able to visit and try for yourself?

I have asked him if I can go up and try it.

I am on a fixed pension so don't have a lot to spend. Plus, I have no interest in any public performance other than Melodeons and More so I am looking for something to replace my current 20 key anglo - preferably with 30 keys. All I am going to do is sit in my living room and enjoy myself. I have my eye on a 2nd hand Rochelle so I will get that in preference. This would be 2nd choice and probably would be no better than I have except it ain't blue and yellow and has 30 keys!

David

Could the case be worth more than the concertina?

It could be that the shipping costs are worth more than the concertina. And it is offered with free shipping!

Perhaps the seller miss typed "This is a beautiful instrument worth very much more than the asking price." Doesn't she mean ...worth very much LESS than the asking price...?

To be fair, it could be used as a prop in a stage play :P

Edited by Flanna

Could the case be worth more than the concertina?

That might well be the case Jim! I once got one of these as a sample off the manufacturer, and the left hand reedblocks were the wrong way up - so that the low reeds were where you should get the high ones, and vice versa. :huh:

Needless to say, I didn't order any... :rolleyes:

I bought one of those. I got it for the case and spare parts for my Rochelle which is similiar in size. The Rochelle plays a little nicer and has realy great support from the dealer (ButtonBox)

There is a Rochelle on ebay for not a lot more. Having just checked - there are TWO used Rochelles on ebay. So unless you have your heart set on the hard case, one of those might be worth getting.

Edited by malcolmbebb

There is a Rochelle on ebay for not a lot more. Having just checked - there are TWO used Rochelles on ebay. So unless you have your heart set on the hard case, one of those might be worth getting.

Don't worry - have my eye on both of those. The cheaper one is a Gen. I whilst the second is a Gen II but it will be interesting to see where the Gen II bifding goes although there were no bidders the last time I looked.

David