Duets on a roll?

Interesting point raised by S Squeezer that prices are rapidly going up for Duets.

When I predicted that Duets would be the most popular concertina eventually I didn't expect that they would take off quite so quickly.

A long way to go however ,but lovely to see and hear the old duets in action.

Al

Interesting point raised by S Squeezer that prices are rapidly going up for Duets.

When I predicted that Duets would be the most popular concertina eventually I didn't expect that they would take off quite so quickly.

Al

When you say duets are rapidly going up I envision a curve or line on data that shows higher prices over time and enough data points so that there is a base line and then some sort of surge of concertinas being bought and sold close together with significant upward direction in prices. So my question is, where are you collecting all of these data points (sales) that show that the prices are taking off quickly? I've only see one or two (Crane) duets for sale in the past couple of years. I can't get near enough data points to plot a trend in terms of where things might be going. I've put feelers out over two years and have gotten virtually nothing, zip, nada back. I'm looking for a Crane Duet with a chevron (a la Crabb, but there are some Wheatstone examples as well) keyboard. Fifty-five keys would be ideal, but I'd consider anything at this point just to give myself a spare.

Edited by Kurt Braun

Well Kurt my posting is more biased towards players rather than duet value. There seems to me a surge in popularity of the instrument ,some even changing systems to play them.

My first quality instrument was a lovely rare duet and out of ignorance for what could be achieved I traded it in for a Jones Anglo. After hearing Tommy play at the ICA meeting I started to realise my big mistake. Many years later I stuck with the Anglo System over the Duet purely for the time I had put in on the instrument.

Al

Al

When you say duets are rapidly going up I envision a curve or line on data that shows higher prices over time and enough data points so that there is a base line and then some sort of surge of concertinas being bought and sold close together with significant upward direction in prices. So my question is, where are you collecting all of these data points (sales) that show that the prices are taking off quickly? I've only see one or two (Crane) duets for sale in the past couple of years. I can't get near enough data points to plot a trend in terms of where things might be going. I've put feelers out over two years and have gotten virtually nothing, zip, nada back. I'm looking for a Crane Duet with a chevron (a la Crabb, but there are some Wheatstone examples as well) keyboard. Fifty-five keys would be ideal, but I'd consider anything at this point just to give myself a spare.

I didn't mean to start a stampede towards Duets. My comments were based on the prices that I'd paid for mine in 2009 and what I've seen them going for now. Kurt is right that we should do a more analytical study but the Wheatstone Aeola that Chris Algar had at the same price as my Crabb seemed to me like the prices were going up and that a Duet was no longer the bargain of the concertina world. Of course, I've not been faced with a 6000 GBP price yet! :o