back to Stagi?

Hi, friends,

I've been thinking of getting a G/D to add to the family, but don't feel like affording a custom job, much as I'd love one. Therefore, I'm considering a new Stagi.

Now, I started out on a 20-b Stagi and it was adequate for a newbie, had a few mechanical problems, especially with sticky buttons and slow start to the reeds, but I want to hear opinions on the quality of other models. Does anyone have some idea about how a new Stagi would perform? Has the quality improved any in the last fifteen years?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Robert

About 3 years ago I owned a Stagi W15-LN model C/G, which also comes in G/D. I had played it for about 2 years, I think. Bought it from The Button Box, who goes through them and makes sure they are ready for playing before they ship them out (see their website for details). Would not recommend buying a Stagi anywhere else. It was quite playable and I had no problems with it. Price is about 35-40% of a modern quality concertina with accordion reeds. But the Stagi is not on par in terms of sound or action compared to those modern quality concertinas built in G/D with accordion reeds such as a Morse or Tedrow

Two weeks ago in Louisiana I was at Marc Savoy's listening to the Saturday morning Cajun jam, and the guy next to me turned out to have a C/G Stagi (most folks play one-row accordion at this event). It must have been an LN model, as the action was a lot better than any of my starter concertinas.

It is certainly an option, their pluses and minuses are pretty well documented. Everyone has opinions, but these persist in the market so they must fill a need/niche for some people. If Wim Wakker ever has time to do (and judges that there is a market for) a G/D model Rochelle, that would change things considerably.

Ken

Geez, Ken, Cajun Jam at Marc Savoy's place? It's a rough life but somebody's gotta live it. Sounds like a gas.

As for the Stagi, I'm either going to hold on 'till a pretty good G/D comes up on the market- for a while at least- but will probably go for the Stagi; instrument prices being what they are, and the cost of everything else goin up, I'll likely just have to take Hobson's Choice.

Cary: I have a C/G W15 and it must have been, at one time, an OK box, but age and at least three owners have put their marks on it; it has a crusty, very small voice, kinda like a poor recording of Billie Holiday, but I like the quirky sound. However, the mechanics stink. I had to do some relearning when I got My Tedrow Standard 'cause I'd been wrestling the Stagi for years; had to completely revamp my bellows work.

My Beautiful Secretary (AKA my wife) has decreed that if I aquire any new instruments, another one must go. I'd rather sacrifice my cordless electric drill and palm sander, even my chainsaw, but we shall see...

What does Button Box do to bring the concertinas up to snuff?

Cheers, Robert