Visiting the Maritimes

We are planning a trip to Canada shortly, and will be visiting the Maritimes (based in Halifax) between 11th and 25th May. (Also visiting Montreal 25th May to 1 June).

This is a long way from Australia, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some music events or things to do there during this time. We will have a car.

We are planning a trip to Canada shortly, and will be visiting the Maritimes (based in Halifax) between 11th and 25th May. (Also visiting Montreal 25th May to 1 June).

This is a long way from Australia, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some music events or things to do there during this time. We will have a car.

If you are planning to visit Cape Breton (which you should!) there's a regular session at "Rollie's Wharf" in North Sydney (near the ferry docks) on Thursdays at 8:00. They have a piano, lots of fiddlers, and a smattering of other instruments. (pipes, accordion) I was the only concertinist the night I went, but they were very welcoming. I wouldn't say it is a beginners' session though- those Cape Breton fiddlers know their stuff.

... a regular session at "Rollie's Wharf" in North Sydney (near the ferry docks) on Thursdays at 8:00. They have a piano, lots of fiddlers, and a smattering of other instruments. (pipes, accordion) I was the only concertinist the night I went, but they were very welcoming. I wouldn't say it is a beginners' session though- those Cape Breton fiddlers know their stuff.

Thanks Bill

That's just the sort of thing we are on the lookout for. We will try to get there.

I don't think I will have an instrument with me, but we would be going to listen anyway.

(There was some amazing Cape Breton fiddling on the radio here recently - its almost worth the hours of flight time just to hear some more)

Hello,

I live in San Diego California, and I found a book in a used book store here called Folk Songs of the Maritimes. You might want to look it up on Amazon.com. Simple and more complex tunes, intended for music teachers in the Maritime region.

Sadly, it was inscribed to someone from his mother.

Aquarussell

Russell Hedges

That's just the sort of thing we are on the lookout for. We will try to get there.

I don't think I will have an instrument with me, but we would be going to listen anyway.

(There was some amazing Cape Breton fiddling on the radio here recently - its almost worth the hours of flight time just to hear some more)

Will you be going to Newfoundland on your trip? There's more good local music per square foot there than anywhere I've ever been.

We are planning on going to Newfoundland for about a week. Anywhere in particular you know about? Thanks again Rod
There is something going on just about every day of the week in St. John's. You might want to reconsider taking your concertina!: <BR>Tues. afternoon- There's a famous Newfoundland session at what used to be "Auntie Crae's" (now called Rocket Bakery) on Water St. in old St. John's. There is a community room attached to the deli/grocery store/bakery, and you can buy your lunch or a coffee, or bring your own if you like, and listen to some of the best traditional players for FREE! People are welcome to join in but it's pretty high calibre. <BR>Tues. evening- Georgetown Pub session- very beginner friendly and a mix of trad Newfoundland and typical session tunes. <BR>Wed. night- Folk Night at the Ship Inn (a venerable St. John's tradition)- check the folk society website for details: http://www.nlfolk.com/ <BR>Fri. night; Traditional Newfoundland Session at Erin's Pub on Water St.- Erin's looks pretty sketchy, but it's a friendly place with good taps. I never try to play at this session- they are good and very fast! You'll see some of the hot young players here. <BR><BR>There are 2 really good music stores you should check out as well. "Fred's" on Duckworth St. has an incredible selection of traditional music CDs, and information about all the upcoming concerts, kitchen parties, etc. posted. "O'Briens" is the "oldest store on the oldest street in the oldest city in North America", and has an excellent inventory of new and used instruments (especially button accordions). It's worth a look. You could even rent a Hohner concertina for your stay in St. John's! ($25 per week). They don't usually have any decent concertinas in stock, because they aren't really played there. George St. is a famous half-mile of pubs and bars, and there are always bands playing, but it's more touristy than the spots mentioned above. The great thing about St. John's is that if you are staying downtown, all of the above are an easy walk. Have a great trip! <BR><BR>Edited to correct night of Ship Inn event. from Thursday to Wed. Edited by Bill N

I was in St. John's in August, but I had a dozen geology students with me and a very full schedule, so alas no music. I'll be back sometime on my own.

If you only do one geology stop in Newfoundland, go to Mistaken Point at the south end of the Avalon Peninsula and take the guided hike to see the oldest known metazoan (multicelled) fossils - a world-class geology locality!

Ken

if you make it to Cape Breton, the Red Shoe in Mabou has excellent music every night (and the seafood chowder is amazing!) .. question is will it be open when you're there? The season on Cape Breton pretty much goes from late in May through Canadian Thanksgiving ..

john d

We were in Montreal last September before going to Cape Breton for the Celtic Colours Festival in October. 25 May is a Wednesday so that'll mean the session in O'Regan's, rue Bishop. The Fuschia session on Monday was also very nice, and definitely don't miss the Québecois session at Vices et Versa. Get there early and start sampling the 33 beers on tap.

Other stuff: we liked the McCord Museum, the Centre d'histoire de Montréal and the Canadian Railway Museum. And the restaurants.

Getting late here so I'll have to cut it short for now...

Thanks for all the tips - We'll be following up as many as possible. Now I wish we were staying for 3 weeks (but then I'd probably want 4 weeks ...).

Also thanks for the tip about Mistaken Point Ken - we saw David Attenborough walking around there on the tv, and wondered if it was possible to see the fossils there. (I was going to search that out next).