Dipper Anglo - sale withdrawn

Celia Bryan

I have recently placed two posts advertising my concertina for sale and a third saying that a sale had been agreed. I have withdrawn from the sale because of computer difficulties. I did not understand how the 'personal message' aspect of the website worked. The notifications from the web site and some individual emails went into Web Mail as 'spam' instead of Windows Mail on my computer. I did not discover this until after I had agreed a sale. As soon as I realised what had happened I withdrew from the sale because I had not given everyone who was interested an equal opportunity to place an offer. I was also at risk of losing out financially. I have endeavoured to contact everyone who has expressed an interest individually. However, if I have missed anyone I can only apologise.

I will readvertise the concertina in a few months time and I have promised all the people who have contacted me that I will let them know when I readvertise.

this whole affair has taken on a very distasteful aspect. i greatly regret participating in discussions regarding the listing and sale of this instrument, and greatly sympathise with the good-faith purchaser on the other end of the cancelled contract.

That seems rather harsh. Couldn't you just as easily sympathize with the potential purchasers whose inquiries never were picked up by the seller?

this whole affair has taken on a very distasteful aspect. i greatly regret participating in discussions regarding the listing and sale of this instrument, and greatly sympathise with the good-faith purchaser on the other end of the cancelled contract.

I'm glad someone said something. I felt the same way when I first saw this thread. I do not understand this auction style sale that seems to take place on this forum from time to time. If you want an on-line auction, post the instrument for sale on eBay. Otherwise, post a price and entertain offers. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm glad someone said something. I felt the same way when I first saw this thread. I do not understand this auction style sale that seems to take place on this forum from time to time. If you want an on-line auction, post the instrument for sale on eBay. Otherwise, post a price and entertain offers. Just my 2 cents worth.

For a long discussion about what may or not be appropriate in sales on this forum, see this thread.

Why don't you just say that you backed out of the sale because someone else offered you more money for the item? Isn't that what really happened and it went into your spam? If you put it out there for the highest offer, and the transaction wasn't complete, I suppose it would be prudent to tell the person you agreed to sell to that they are invited to match the higher offers. Ultimately, I think you have a right to seek the highest price people will pay.