Looking for a title

angloplayer

The tune attached just popped up in my brain. It must be about 30 years ago when I heard this tune played by a Northumbrian piper in a band. I forgot the name of the band, but he title of the tune had some relation with "west wind".

can anybody help me??

Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch
?

The A part of your tune is almost identical to the A part of that Scottish song, as I have it in one source. (I also have it in other books, but they're not handy at the moment, so I can't cross check.) The main difference is the final note. Your B part is also similar to the song, but not as close.

Here's a link to a copy of the song, very close but not quite identical in both parts to the version in my book. Google gave me many more hits than that. It even gave quite a few hits for the combination of "Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch" and "West Wind", but I didn't investigate them.

The reel Money Musk is similar (except for speed) in the A part, with your final note, but its B part is more distant from both your tune and Roy's Wife....

Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch
?

That must be the tune I was looking for smile.gif!! It must have been more than 30 years ago that I heard the tune for the first time played by The Battlefield Band (??unsure.gif), but this is for me the tune I was looking for.

Thanks Jim!

I believe that the tune your looking for was recordred by the Battlefield Band on thier 1980 "Home is where the van is" and is listed as Blackhall Rocks. I recognized it immediately. good job.

Scott,

You're absolutely right! I checked "The Session" on "Blackhall Rocks" and found this tune that completely fits. On top of that it is mentioned that the tune originally was derived from a tune "The Ruffian's Rant" which is a.o. also known as: "Roy's Wife (of Aldivalloch)".

For details see this page from the Fiddlers Companion.

So Jim was not wrong and Scott is rightblink.gif.. Thanks

Well done Scott - as soon as I heard angloplayer's MP3 I could hear the Battlefield Band playing it in my head ... but I didn't *remember* it was the Battlefield Band, let alone which album it was on, until the answer was forthcoming.

Nice tune, I'll add it to my list of tunes to learn properly - and I might even go and listen to 'Home is where the van is' for the first time in who knows how long!

Angloplayer,

I know this beautiful tune as a "highlands" fiddle tune from Donegal - called `highland`.

My upload failed. PM me if you want the MP3.

Thanks Jim for the dots!

Marien

Angloplayer,

I know this beautiful tune as a "highlands" fiddle tune from Donegal - called `highland`.

My upload failed. PM me if you want the MP3.

Thanks Jim for the dots!

Marien

Hi Marien I tried to PM you, but received the following message:

The member marien cannot receive any new messages

BTW: Which dots did Jim send?

I believe that in Ireland "highland" is a kind of dance or dance rhythm, so calling a tune "highland" is a bit like calling a tune "jig" or "polka". :unsure:

I believe that in Ireland "highland" is a kind of dance or dance rhythm, so calling a tune "highland" is a bit like calling a tune "jig" or "polka". :unsure:

Absolutely right Jim, Highland is the name of the dance, I did not know another name for the tune. I believe that Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch fits to the dance - and can be called a highland tune as well. The tune it made me think of was different. Maybe its name was "Gan Ainm" B) .