German Imposter

nkgibbs

My gut says this is 'German'.

What do you think?

Cheers

Neil

This is almost identical to an Anglo I bought many years ago, pretty on the outside but the insides looked they were made out of popsicle sticks, and the reeds were all riveted onto long lead plates - obvious old German, but unfortunately not really playable. Whoever bids on this one better look inside before paying anything over $100!

Gary

Would be nice to have some internal photos - ends appear to be held on with wood screws. I suppose one could ask for some more photos :rolleyes:

The seller - who I'm sure has sold concertinas before - isn't claiming it's an Anglo.

Edited by malcolmbebb

It's not this one again is it? (I've noticed this seller seems to buy a lot of his stock from local auctions... )

Stephen--

I don't remember what that one looked like, but you said that the spacing on the end screws of that one looked German and I don't see that problem on this one - or am I missing something? This one looks to my much less expert eye like it could be either a very good German imitation of an Anglo or a genuine low-end English-made one.

It's not this one again is it?

Stephen--

I don't remember what that one looked like, but you said that the spacing on the end screws of that one looked German and I don't see that problem on this one - or am I missing something?

You are Daniel, in that four of the end screws are offset - they aren't in the centres of their sides. Some German concertinas were made with four end screws, in a rectangular layout, on the six sides of the instrument - whilst the (centred) top and bottom ones of this one look almost like an afterthought - to make it look more like an Anglo.

This one looks to my much less expert eye like it could be either a very good German imitation of an Anglo or a genuine low-end English-made one.

It's what the old catalogues described as an "Imitation Anglo."

Edited for clarification

Edited by Stephen Chambers

It's not this one again is it?

I don't remember what that one looked like, but you said that the spacing on the end screws of that one looked German and I don't see that problem on this one - or am I missing something?

You are Daniel, in that four of the end screws are offset - they aren't in the centres of their sides. Some German concertinas were made with four end screws, in a rectangular layout, on the six sides of the instrument - whilst the (centred) top and bottom ones of this one look almost like an afterthought - to make it look more like an Anglo. It's what the old catalogues described as an "Imitation Anglo."

Thanks very much! It didn't even occur to me to look at whether the screws were at the center of their sides. I saw that there were six screws rather than four and stopped there.

So it does - missed that :rolleyes:

But most players would call this an Anglo even if it's German-made, especially since it's got an Anglo-style third row...

Well, that is clearly the intention and some of these boxes do look very appealing.

Personally I would take more interest in the action, having had a couple of German boxes - albeit old and in need of mucho TLC - and to my mind it's an Anglo if it's got Anglo (English) style action, even if made in Germany, and German action if it has the parallel levers - even if made in China.

If that makes sense...

It is German, see new internal pics.

I asked him for some internal pics. For what it is, it doesn't seem in too bad nick generally although I note that some of the button holes are out of round.

The same seller has a one-row melodeon in D for £299. I'm not bidding on that, either.

It is German, see new internal pics.

I asked him for some internal pics. For what it is, it doesn't seem in too bad nick generally although I note that some of the button holes are out of round.

The same seller has a one-row melodeon in D for £299. I'm not bidding on that, either.

He really has an over-inflated idea of what these instruments are worth.